Received a D in Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EyeGlassGirl

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my Fall semester and I found out I got a D in Organic Chemistry. I plan to retake the course soon. Even with my D, my GPA is still over 3.0. I was wondering if there are any current optometry students who have failed a class and still got accepted. Please share! I am getting a bit discouraged.

Members don't see this ad.

I received a D in Organic Chemistry II and I got three acceptances for c/o 2015. I retook it this semester and got an A, but the schools offered me interviews/acceptances long before they had my grade.

Don't let it get you down! It's a hard class and a lot of people struggle with it. Sign up to take it again and ace it the next time! :)

Last edited:
Don't fret... just retake the class, and get an A. If you think you will do better taking at a community college, do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
yes it's definitely possible just make it up with a high OAT score/ retake the Ds or the Cs in ur prereq classes.

I just found out that I got a C in orgo, but I haven't gotten Cs in anything else. do you think it would be worth it to retake it at my school so that it will replace the lower grade in my optomcas gpa (and also so that I will be more prepared for orgo 2)?

A lot of schools won't count prereqs taken at a community college

What schools don't count prereqs from a CC? With any program you should be able to submit a syllabus for any classes and have it evaluated befor you take the course to ensure it is acceptable.

What schools don't count prereqs from a CC? With any program you should be able to submit a syllabus for any classes and have it evaluated befor you take the course to ensure it is acceptable.

My undergrad academic advisor told me that. Of the schools I applied to I'm almost 100% sure that a cc prereq wouldn't have done it for OSU, and I'm fairly certain (though not as certain) for IU too. But ya I think if you ok it with their admissions office before taking it then I'm sure it would be fine. Syllabus thing makes sense though, I had to do that with one school I applied to actually.

Last edited:
I received a D in Organic Chemistry II and I got three acceptances for c/o 2015. I retook it this semester and got an A, but the schools offered me interviews/acceptances long before they had my grade.

Don't let it get you down! It's a hard class and a lot of people struggle with it. Sign up to take it again and ace it the next time! :)

It tells how competitive optometry school is. With 3+ more new schools, they have trouble filling up their seats. No students=no money.

What school/profession would allow a D in their prereq requirements?!?

Most schools only require one semester of organic, and Organic II is usually not a prerequisite. Also, I did really well on the organic section on the OAT which I'm sure was a contributing factor to my admissions.

You're right though, standards are probably not the same as they used to be. This is seen in schools of all health professions though. New medical, pharmacy, and dental schools are continuing to open up and average statistics are continuing to lower. That's life.

It tells how competitive optometry school is. With 3+ more new schools, they have trouble filling up their seats. No students=no money.

What school/profession would allow a D in their prereq requirements?!?

which schools are you referring to?

My undergrad academic advisor told me that. Of the schools I applied to I'm almost 100% sure that a cc prereq wouldn't have done it for OSU, and I'm fairly certain (though not as certain) for IU too. But ya I think if you ok it with their admissions office before taking it then I'm sure it would be fine. Syllabus thing makes sense though, I had to do that with one school I applied to actually.

I had everything I have taken cleared through PUCO, IU, Midwestern, Michigan, and Missouri. I think a lot of it has to do with the type of student you are as well. I work full time, have a family, run a Cub Scout Pack, assist American Legion leadership with marketting and PR, and have 8 years industry experience. There aren't many 4 year schools able to accomidate schedules like mine. I had to retake a class and rateyourprof was much more helpful in finding a class to take.

Most schools do take prereqs at community colleges. Not sure where your advisor got their info from.. maybe medical school won't.. ??