Received interview invites in July...then silence.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

babytomato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I applied to 9 schools mid-June and got 3 invites in June, which I am very thankful for. However, I find it strange that I haven't heard from anyone else for 3 months, not even a supplemental email. I have above-average stats for most of the schools I applied to and a little over 100 shadowing hours, although I haven't done much extracurriculars related to dentistry. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

Members don't see this ad.

where did you apply to? if you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? what are your non-dental related extracurriculars?

So I applied to 9 schools mid-June and got 3 invites in June, which I am very thankful for. However, I find it strange that I haven't heard from anyone else for 3 months, not even a supplemental email. I have above-average stats for most of the schools I applied to and a little over 100 shadowing hours, although I haven't done much extracurriculars related to dentistry. Has anyone else had this kind of experience?

have you considered that perhaps they received applications after yours that they preferred more?
what have you done since mid-june that might improve your application?

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Really depends on which schools you applied to.

Reactions: 1 user
Just having above average stats doesn't really help for OOS students. I remember off the top of my head the San Antonio IS vs OOS gpa was 3.71/3.88 and their DAT was 21.something/24.

It also depends on whether the schools you applied to are OOS friendly or not.

where did you apply to? if you don't mind sharing, what are your stats? what are your non-dental related extracurriculars?

UT Memphis (state school), UAB, Louisville, UMD, CWRU, Marquette, Temple, Tufts, UPenn. My DAT is 22AA/21TS and GPA 3.91. Non-dental related EC's are mostly community service activities helping low-income families and a few clubs I've stayed committed to

have you considered that perhaps they received applications after yours that they preferred more?
what have you done since mid-june that might improve your application?

Hah. Yes I definitely have, thank you. The only thing I've done is research for a month at my school in biochemistry.

Just having above average stats doesn't really help for OOS students. I remember off the top of my head the San Antonio IS vs OOS gpa was 3.71/3.88 and their DAT was 21.something/24.

It also depends on whether the schools you applied to are OOS friendly or not.

Yeah, that's a good point. I tried to apply for OOS friendly schools, and most of them are private schools.

UT Memphis (state school), UAB, Louisville, UMD, CWRU, Marquette, Temple, Tufts, UPenn. My DAT is 22AA/21TS and GPA 3.91. Non-dental related EC's are mostly community service activities helping low-income families and a few clubs I've stayed committed to

Hah. Yes I definitely have, thank you. The only thing I've done is research for a month at my school in biochemistry.

you have a decent list
it is unfortunate that you haven't gotten more interviews given your stats
I do know someone that has a higher gpa and a much higher DAT and only has 4/11 interviews, so it does happen
you are just going to have to trust the process...

I'm actually in a similar situation if it gives you any comfort! I've had 4/9 interviews, three of which I received invites for in early July.

I have very average scores and academics and have heard back from 4 schools, so it goes to show that it’s not always 100% about academics (depending on the school ofc lol) Although it’s already Nov, I think it’s a bit too early to panic especially if you’ve had the opportunity to hear back from three schools. ;)

I'm actually in a similar situation if it gives you any comfort! I've had 4/9 interviews, three of which I received invites for in early July.

That's interesting, and you have very good stats too! Did we apply to any of the same schools?

I have very average scores and academics and have heard back from 4 schools, so it goes to show that it’s not always 100% about academics (depending on the school ofc lol) Although it’s already Nov, I think it’s a bit too early to panic especially if you’ve had the opportunity to hear back from three schools. ;)

Thanks for your input :) I'm not too worried but I do find it strange. I still think I'm fortunate enough to have three interviews. How many schools did you apply to and do you think there's anything on your application that made you stand out?

That's interesting, and you have very good stats too! Did we apply to any of the same schools?

Thanks for your input :) I'm not too worried but I do find it strange. I still think I'm fortunate enough to have three interviews. How many schools did you apply to and do you think there's anything on your application that made you stand out?
I completely understand! This is my first time applying, to 12 schools (incl. all the schools you applied to except UAB and UPENN), so at first when I wasn’t hearing back from schools, I thought something was wrong with my app or the schools weren’t even glancing at my app. I think maybe my story and journey to dentistry stood out the most and having African roots which I illustrated through my personal statement. I also had 1000+ volunteering hours because I’m really passionate about giving back. & I would hope that my letters were also pretty great lol but I wouldn’t know for sure. This cycle has just been super interesting because the schools I thought I would hear from, have been super silent and the schools that I didn’t think I had a chance at, have been sending invites. So I say all this because you have great stats and I feel like it will work out in the end for you! Just 27 more days lol

Reactions: 1 users
Surprisingly, we did not.

Well I feel like you would still have a good chance of getting in! Please let me know if you hear from anyone.

I completely understand! This is my first time applying, to 12 schools (incl. all the schools you applied to except UAB and UPENN), so at first when I wasn’t hearing back from schools, I thought something was wrong with my app or the schools weren’t even glancing at my app. I think maybe my story and journey to dentistry stood out the most and having African roots which I illustrated through my personal statement. I also had 1000+ volunteering hours because I’m really passionate about giving back. & I would hope that my letters were also pretty great lol but I wouldn’t know for sure. This cycle has just been super interesting because the schools I thought I would hear from, have been super silent and the schools that I didn’t think I had a chance at, have been sending invites. So I say all this because you have great stats and I feel like it will work out in the end for you! Just 27 more days lol

I feel like your African roots and many volunteering hours would definitely give you an edge!
That's reassuring to hear though, thank you! Is early Dec when all the schools we had pre-Dec interviews at notify whether we get accepted?

I feel like your African roots and many volunteering hours would definitely give you an edge!
That's reassuring to hear though, thank you! Is early Dec when all the schools we had pre-Dec interviews at notify whether we get accepted?
Yup! The schools will either notify you of an acceptance or waitlist, and apparently some schools may even reject you or others may give you an interview lol.
So it’s really all a waiting game!

Yup! The schools will either notify you of an acceptance or waitlist, and apparently some schools may even reject you or others may give you an interview lol.
So it’s really all a waiting game!

Gotcha, we'll be looking forward to it!!

Same situation.

I submitted my application to 18 schools (I know its alot) very early probably a week after the opening.

So far, I received 5 school interview invites now (2 state schools + 3 private schools).
I got 3 invites before August. None in September. 1 in October.
Schools I thought I would surely get (the private schools) didn't give me the invitation yet - I have spoken to one of the alumni, and he said the school is just slow about the process, and they still give out invitations in late November and early December. Some in January.

I was surprised that I got the invites from the state schools because I'm OOS to both schools - also 4 out of 5 schools are somewhat 30% OOS friendly at max.

It's nice to know others are going through the same thing. I would be surprised too because you're more likely to get interviewed at a private school.