receiving secondaries from schools that screen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc0307

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
two questions here:

1. let's say a certain school screens and has an MCAT/GPA Cut off. does receiving secondaries from such a school mean an applicant is now more likely to be considered for the next admission process more based on the secondary essays rather than just the MCAT/gpa.

I understand everything is going to be weighted holistically at the end of the day when it comes to choosing the applicant they want. My question is if a school decides to send a secondary to an individual post screening, does that mean anything in terms of their interest to keep such applicant in the next admission process or is it mainly because they want to make money or is this a bad question haha?

3.8GPA. good research, tons of leadership, volunteering, clinical ..etc but I'm expecting to receive around 504-507 and exam day is in 2 weeks. The school i want to go to is in state and their median, according to MSAR, is 506.

2. secondly, an irrelevant question regarding gap years. When ever i read about gap years, people are saying schools will ask what you did in the gap year. Im confused. Im currently a junior, if i decide to take a gap year, that means i will apply when I am finishing up senior year. So like my activities and such will continue to stay the way they are and my "gap" time will come after I have submitted my application. Am i missing something?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

1. No. MCAT/GPA remain as vital as ever. All it means is you passed the basic cut off. nothing more.
2. That is correct so what are your plans for the future gap year

this is where I am confused, are you asking regarding my time off between undergrad and grad? That I don't know yet. are you saying that is what I will be asked during an interview?

this is where I am confused, are you asking regarding my time off between undergrad and grad? That I don't know yet. are you saying that is what I will be asked during an interview?

Gap years in general refer to gaps in your education. Most people, if they’re good to go with MCAT/GPA, do things like work, volunteer, travel, etc.

What will you being during the year your application is being considered and/or if you have graduated college, what will you be doing, Sometimes secondary will ask it; sometimes interviews will ask. You must be planning to do something other then sit at home watching cat videos on the internet. Maybe you will have a job, travel, etc

during senior year I will continue doing what i usually do now such as tutoring, leading SI, student government, club eboard, volunteering, may be more research. The only reason i would decide to apply by the end of my senior year instead of this cycle would be to improve mcat. so If i end up doing so, do i still have to do a bunch of stuff other than just to improving mcat score, given that i have a lot of EC experience already?