Recent Grad Wanting A Second Chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hawktux09

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice. I graduated with a BS in Communication in 2019. During that I spent a year in Bio, and unfortunately did terrible (Failed Chem, Pass/fail most other classes, D in pre-calc).

Due to recent events, I really want to pursue medical school, and that is where my heart has been since leaving Bio. I know I need to take basically all the pre-reqs, especially to raise my cGPA (3.27) and my sGPA which I dont even know, but it isnt pretty.

I am moving to New Orleans, and I know Tulane has options, however I dont think I qualify for any of their programs because of the science gpa and not taking those in undergrad. I was also looking at Loyola's Pre-health Post-bacc program. I am wondering if anyone else knows any options.

In addition Id like any advice on what I could do now to increase my chances of getting into medical school, volunteering, shadowing, etc.

This is something I have no doubt I want to do for the rest of my life, and I am passionate about.

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely on the right path. You need to ACE whatever prereqs you have left in the postbacc program that is right for you. Check out the AAMC's website to search for more formal postbacc programs but you can also design your own postbacc education at a local university. While you are taking care of your grades you should be gaining clinical experience, volunteering, and shadowing. Try getting some leadership and research experience too if you can.

Oh yea and bust you butt for the MCAT

You're definitely on the right path. You need to ACE whatever prereqs you have left in the postbacc program that is right for you. Check out the AAMC's website to search for more formal postbacc programs but you can also design your own postbacc education at a local university. While you are taking care of your grades you should be gaining clinical experience, volunteering, and shadowing. Try getting some leadership and research experience too if you can.

Research is pretty much a requirement these days
Plan ahead

Members don't see this ad :)
Is it? I thought non-trads didn’t need much research
Yeah, pretty sure multiple Adcoms on here have said that research is not a requirement for majority of schools. Most important are clinical experience, non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah, pretty sure multiple Adcoms on here have said that research is not a requirement for majority of schools. Most important are clinical experience, non-clinical volunteering, and shadowing.
Well, it depends on the rest of your application, but just be aware that there are multiple 4.0, 520+, stellar EC apps that you'll be competing with. You've been warned

I definitely have a good amount of leadership experience from my undergrad (Resident Assistant, Admissions Ambassador, Student Government President, and the founder and President of another club., but I would love to gain more specifically in organizations specifically for pre meds. Im am moving states in the next month and once I am settled in there I would start looking to shadow, volunteer, and gain clinical experience.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it? I thought non-trads didn’t need much research
I did not find this to be true at all during my app cycle for MD schools in 2018. Non trad with >10,000 hours of clinical experience at application. I applied with zero research, and I had a 515 MCAT and I can't remember my precise GPA (equal to or greater than 3.7 on both science and cumulative, I'm pretty sure), and I was unable to secure a MD acceptance.

Got three MD interviews, though. It just shows that the saying about GPA/MCAT getting you to the door, but ECs getting you through, holds solid. I was accepted to every DO interview I attended (received eight, attended three) so I think I can safely say it's not my interview skills that were the problem, and it sure as hell wasn't my grades/MCAT/clinical experience. Research was the only major hole in my app that I'm aware of.

Yea I had minimal research and was accepted with a sub 3.0 GPA and 506 MCAT. I was accepted to two medical schools after finishing my 6 year undergrad degree (I failed multiple classes) strong. I got a 3.8 GPA over 60ish credit hours. You got this, apply broadly and listen to the select few on this forum who know what they are talking about. Also goros reinvention post is life and has totally helped me along my path!

Research is pretty much a requirement these days
Plan ahead
This is just flat out not true. Research helps...if you are aiming for top programs that are research powerhouses. For lower tier MD schools research does not matter, even less so for DO programs.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users