Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi there. I'm a recent graduate from a TX university. Before I proceed with my situation, I have read Goro's advice for reinvention and his guide to SMP's.
Current stats:
cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.24
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours
Shadowing experience: 50+ hours
Research experience: a semester's worth, 80+ hours
Clinical Experience: none
So basically my plan was to take the MCAT this upcoming June, but I may have to push it back another month or two. I have already made up my mind that realistically I'm going to take 2 gap years with the first being to allocate my entire attention towards killing the MCAT, gain more volunteer hours, and possibly either work as a lab tech or scribe to fund my finances. Then this upcoming spring I planned to apply for an SMP program. I have no classes worth retaking as I didn't fail any. Im back living with my parents at the moment and live in Houston so the opportunity to get myself involved in the health field is endless.
I'm just curious to see whatever I have in my mind is realistic. Is the timeline that I've planned out the most efficient? Is it better to do a post-bacc? Also side note, volunteering for the Peace Corp has also been in my mind, but in doing so I think taking the MCAT now would expire by the time I finish as its a 2 year commitment. I have interest because traveling abroad while volunteering was always something that I wanted to do, but I know once the gears start going for med school finding the time to travel will be harder.
Current stats:
cGPA: 3.36
sGPA: 3.24
Volunteering Experience: 100+ hours
Shadowing experience: 50+ hours
Research experience: a semester's worth, 80+ hours
Clinical Experience: none
So basically my plan was to take the MCAT this upcoming June, but I may have to push it back another month or two. I have already made up my mind that realistically I'm going to take 2 gap years with the first being to allocate my entire attention towards killing the MCAT, gain more volunteer hours, and possibly either work as a lab tech or scribe to fund my finances. Then this upcoming spring I planned to apply for an SMP program. I have no classes worth retaking as I didn't fail any. Im back living with my parents at the moment and live in Houston so the opportunity to get myself involved in the health field is endless.
I'm just curious to see whatever I have in my mind is realistic. Is the timeline that I've planned out the most efficient? Is it better to do a post-bacc? Also side note, volunteering for the Peace Corp has also been in my mind, but in doing so I think taking the MCAT now would expire by the time I finish as its a 2 year commitment. I have interest because traveling abroad while volunteering was always something that I wanted to do, but I know once the gears start going for med school finding the time to travel will be harder.