Recent Graduate thinking about becoming a Vet

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

miraculous143

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated last December with a BS in Integrative Studies (Journalism, Hospitality, Sociology) from UNT. I really didn't know what I wanted to do so I spent 4 years being lost. The only pre-reqs I have is bio 1 & 2. When I graduated high school I went to TAMU to pursue this career but things happened and I ended up leaving and completely pushed that passion out of my head all because I didn't believe I could do it. Now its crossed my mind again and I've heavily considering going back to school to get the rest of those pre-reqs but I'm already 30k in debt. I am worried about the money but I'm also worried about my future. My other option is becoming a vet tech but that doesn't seem like a promising career. Also what steps should I take? Affordable vet schools? (interested in schools out of Texas)
Thank You so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Being a tech is fun too! Less debt and very hands on. What about being a vet interests you? If it's just a bigger check than being a tech I would reconsider.

As a licensed tech in the right practice and good budgeting you can do fine. Consider that the beginning of your veterinarian career you'd be taking home about the same as a tech thanks to loan payments....

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated last December with a BS in Integrative Studies (Journalism, Hospitality, Sociology) from UNT. I really didn't know what I wanted to do so I spent 4 years being lost. The only pre-reqs I have is bio 1 & 2. When I graduated high school I went to TAMU to pursue this career but things happened and I ended up leaving and completely pushed that passion out of my head all because I didn't believe I could do it. Now its crossed my mind again and I've heavily considering going back to school to get the rest of those pre-reqs but I'm already 30k in debt. I am worried about the money but I'm also worried about my future. My other option is becoming a vet tech but that doesn't seem like a promising career. Also what steps should I take? Affordable vet schools? (interested in schools out of Texas)
Thank You so much!

First: why do you want to be a vet?