Recent IM graduates in CA , how much are you getting offered for a PCP or Hospitalist position ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud56

Reaction score
I'm a med student in the midwest originally from Socal. Wondering if I can afford to come back to work with my loans?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This is from the FM forum, but I can't imagine IM primary care salaries are much different:

This is from the FM forum, but I can't imagine IM primary care salaries are much different:

Thanks!
Do you know why some think Kaiser is not a great place to work?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!
Do you know why some think Kaiser is not a great place to work?

I don't, I'm just an incoming PGY-1. My guess is like any big system where you're an employee as opposed to an independent contractor it probably has plenty of rules and quirks that some doctors don't mind and some dislike. I know some people love working for them and some really don't, that's all I got.

I'm a med student in the midwest originally from Socal. Wondering if I can afford to come back to work with my loans?
Thanks!

here were my offers.

Job 1: $240,000/year, 10 night shifts per month.

Job 2: $259,000/year adult hospitalist working nights only, 12 shifts/month

Job 3: $180/hr per diem job, adult hospitalist working nights only.

Reactions: 3 users
here were my offers.

How many people work extra shifts per month?
If you are able to work even 7 extra shifts for 180/hr, that's a huge bump in yearly pay

here were my offers.

thanks!! Did you look for any daytime only positions?

Reactions: 1 user
So-Cal has opportunities, will just take a bit more searching. My job search took a few months patiently waiting for the right opportunity but finally found one.
Daytime hospitalist, 1099 contractor offers (no benefits, you form your own LLC/S-Corp)
- 260k 14shifts/month, 6 nights/month "on call" for ICU admits only get paid if you get called in to admit. Open-ICU, census >20 encounters per day.
- 270k 14 shifts/month, smaller group. pay your own malpractice insurnace.
- 260k 14 shifts/month, better scheduling, larger group. closed icu, no procedures, no rapids/codes.

took the third offer as I move on from PGY-3

Reactions: 3 users
So-Cal has opportunities, will just take a bit more searching. My job search took a few months patiently waiting for the right opportunity but finally found one.
Daytime hospitalist, 1099 contractor offers (no benefits, you form your own LLC/S-Corp)
- 260k 14shifts/month, 6 nights/month "on call" for ICU admits only get paid if you get called in to admit. Open-ICU, census >20 encounters per day.
- 270k 14 shifts/month, smaller group. pay your own malpractice insurnace.
- 260k 14 shifts/month, better scheduling, larger group. closed icu, no procedures, no rapids/codes.

took the third offer as I move on from PGY-3

That third offer is pretty damn good. I'm assuming that's day shifts?

That third offer is pretty damn good. I'm assuming that's day shifts?
Yup, Day-shifts, 7am-7pm.
Compensation is absolutely fair. this is 1099 and no benefits. Similar W2 jobs would pay somewhere between 200-240k in So-Cal from what I saw during my recent job hunt.

Yup, Day-shifts, 7am-7pm.
Compensation is absolutely fair. this is 1099 and no benefits. Similar W2 jobs would pay somewhere between 200-240k in So-Cal from what I saw during my recent job hunt.

GOALS. Congrats on the awesome find!

Are you concerned with not getting the benefits as apart of the salary package? Will you be going for incorporating yourself as a LLC or sole proprietor and just keeping track of all of your spending for tax purposes? Also, how hard is it to pick up extra shifts and what's the pay like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, where are you guys going to see new job openings? When is a reasonable time during residency to start looking at positions? I've heard of people signing contracts as early as PGY-2 year.... why lock yourself into a contract so early on???

Also, where are you guys going to see new job openings? When is a reasonable time during residency to start looking at positions? I've heard of people signing contracts as early as PGY-2 year.... why lock yourself into a contract so early on???

Because having a set job is better than not having a job. There's a huge hiring freeze right now at many practices and hospitals, so those who looked early, myself included, are feeling pretty relaxed, while those who waited are often having trouble finding anything reasonable.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't remember which, but I get emails from some staffing companies for SoCal offering 265k as a day hospitalist but it's inland empire, not beach. I got even better offers in central/northern, about 275k for days. Standard gigs. Decent paying jobs are out there. Honestly, I've seen some attractive offers out there there for general outpatient IM, moreso than hospitalist, but not enough to make me become a PCP. I also make 25% more where I work and cost of living is 1/2 SoCal and I live on the water(ocean), so that's nice.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Because having a set job is better than not having a job. There's a huge hiring freeze right now at many practices and hospitals, so those who looked early, myself included, are feeling pretty relaxed, while those who waited are often having trouble finding anything reasonable.
I feel like it's too early to start looking at the beginning of PGY3...

GOALS. Congrats on the awesome find!

Are you concerned with not getting the benefits as apart of the salary package? Will you be going for incorporating yourself as a LLC or sole proprietor and just keeping track of all of your spending for tax purposes? Also, how hard is it to pick up extra shifts and what's the pay like?

Not really concerned with not getting benefits as part of salary package; I don;'t have dependents. I will be incorporating myself, S-Corp in California and have an accounting firm who will help with taxes, payroll etc.
They say its easy to pick up extra shifts, esp. for nights. Which for 1-4 days/month nights make the most sense in my mind (don't want to pick up a day-time panel and be discharging people the first day I meet them etc.) Pay is $120/hr for days, $140/hr nights.

Through my job search I found that most compensation I saw was relatively fair; I didn't get any overtly low-balls or extremely lucrative offers. It all depended on open-icu/closed, census (some had census >20 which I didn't like the sound of), privately insured patients only vs group managing whole hospitalist panel (the idea was that if privately insured, social issues are less of an issue and higher census could theoretically be reasonable in that regard).

Really, its important to weight all of the factors mentioned above, geographic location and overall vibe of the group you will be joining. I loved that the group I am joining offers a hospitalist admin fellowship and especially liked that many of the (now) hospitalist colleagues I met during interview were young and early-career (looking for post-residency collegiality was important for me which may be easier with those in similar situations)

Reactions: 1 users
I started looking in early winter of my PGY3 year and signed in late Spring of PGY3 year. I was a bit "late" per colleagues, but the job market in California for hospitalist jobs is scarce so required a lot of coordination / random emails, cold calls which was tough for me to manage alongside my resident duties/hours.

Reactions: 1 users