Recent Response from the ACPE- Leave Pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Based on what I've heard about the new MCAT, I would avoid it like the plague. The time it takes to finish the exam should be reason enough. 3hr 20 min vs 6hr 15min????

yeah, it is definitely harder and longer. I am fine with the new MCAT as long as EVERYONE has to take the same new MCAT.

But, MCAT scores, in general, are still valid for ~ 2-3 years( https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/313888/howlongarescoresvalid.html ). Thus schools are probably going to use the new MCAT along with the old MCAT to compare and select candidates for their admission for at least a couple of admission cycle. That is like the problem of "comparing apples to oranges" already. I do not like that. I also cannot wait until the old MCAT to completely fade out.

If I am taking the old one now, would it look like I am trying avoid the new one ??

This is hard for me to decide, but I am leaning more to take the old one now before it is not available anymore.

anyhoo, this article is posted by Kaplan,

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2014/0...e-med-students-are-saying-about-the-new-mcat/
 
yeah, it is definitely harder and longer. I am fine with the new MCAT as long as EVERYONE has to take the same new MCAT.

But, MCAT scores, in general, are still valid for ~ 2-3 years( https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/mcat/faq/313888/howlongarescoresvalid.html ). Thus schools are probably going to use the new MCAT along with the old MCAT to compare and select candidates for their admission for at least a couple of admission cycle. That is like the problem of "comparing apples to oranges" already. I do not like that. I also cannot wait until the old MCAT to completely fade out.

If I am taking the old one now, would it look like I am trying avoid the new one ??

This is hard for me to decide, but I am leaning more to take the old one now before it is not available anymore.

anyhoo, this article is posted by Kaplan,

http://www.studentdoctor.net/2014/0...e-med-students-are-saying-about-the-new-mcat/

Be sure to omit that you were accepted to pharmacy school!
 
Be sure to omit that you were accepted to pharmacy school!

I don't know why you are so obsessed with stalking my posts with comments like this ?? I am sure there are better things for you to do brother.

But I do not need to omit anything. That I can tell you now so you can sleep well tonight lol 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Wow I did not know tuition jumped that much even for instate lol. I think that is one of the highest tuition I have seen for instate. Btw, don't you have a family here? or I guess you have to pay car/health insurance by yourself. But trust me, it is not going to cost that much living in Tucson anyways (regarding food/gas/housing). Board of Regents always over-estimate the budget thing that I never take them seriously. (You can easily get a decent place for $400-500/month, groceries are cheaper than Phoenix and gas in Tucson is literally one of the cheapest in the nation) So are going to take out loans?

The tuition price listed on the university's website is around $24,00o. I have to pay for everything without assistance because my family believes in self-reliance.

I have already put down a deposit on an apartment that I will share with others. Additionally, I am apprehensive about renting a random apartment or room on Craigslist because of the possibility of encountering roaches and unsavory characters. As of right now, I am planning on taking out loans and working while in school. Do you think my standards are too high? Should I make cuts to my budget?
 
Last edited:
I don't know why you are so obsessed with stalking my posts with comments like this ?? I am sure there are better things for you to do brother.

But I do not need to omit anything. That I can tell you now so you can sleep well tonight lol 🙂

I don't think he means any harm. By making a public decision to take the MCAT and pursue medicine, you have gained our support.
 
I don't think he means any harm. By making a public decision to take the MCAT and pursue medicine, you have gained our support.

Thanks. I hope he does not. If so, we are all good in the 'hood lol.

Talking about med schools, it seems like they have been able to hold off/control the numbers of new schools very well (at least on the allopathic side) for a long time. We need to study how they have done it.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. I hope he does not. If so, we are all good in the 'hood lol.

Talking about med schools, it seems like they have been able to hold off/control the numbers of new schools very well (at least on the allopathic side) for a long time. We need to study how they have done it.

Although more med schools have opened, the real barrier to entry is the number of residencies available. The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 has put a freeze to the federal funding (via Medicare/Medicaid) of residencies.
 
Although more med schools have opened, the real barrier to entry is the number of residencies available. The Balanced Budget Act of 1997 has put a freeze to the federal funding (via Medicare/Medicaid) of residencies.

Well, the number of med residencies has been way greater than the number of U.S. medical graduates for years and years but they are still able to control the number of new schools.

But this is a great idea !! Regardless I guess they do have a requirement to require a U.S. medical school to obtain a certain number of residencies for their graduates in order to stay in business. This great idea should be put in action as a requirement for U.S. pharmacy schools.

But it looks like ACPE does not want to require pharmacy schools to do this since if they did, even the established/current pharmacy schools would struggle to meet this requirement. In fact, there are few residencies available to the current pool of U.S. PharmD's as we know already.
 
The tuition price listed on the university's website is around $21,000; however, the AZ Board of Regents approved a tuition increase. I have to pay for everything without assistance because my family believes in self-reliance. I'm in my early 20s after all...
I have already put down a deposit on an apartment that I will share with other students. Additionally, I am apprehensive about renting a random apartment or room on Craigslist because of the possibility of encountering roaches and unsavory characters. As of right now, I am planning on taking out loans and working while in school. Do you think my standards are too high? Should I make cuts to my budget?

Actually Tuition + fees are $24,000, which I think is alright.

How much is total of in-state tuition, the professional fee (tuition differential) and mandatory fees per semester for a PharmD student?
$11,993.91 for Fall 2014.

Oh you should have asked your classmates/people in SDN or even me about housing. As I said, you can get a very decent place for relatively cheap price ($400-$500) with roommate/s if you know where to look. (If you go up to north tucson, you can get places cheaper too) As for your budget, I think you can cut your budget in various places if you live frugally. For example, for me, around $150 worth of groceries will last me almost two months? (I usually buy bunch of frozen chicken) Not sure what you mean by standards but expect to live like dirt poor college student. Well that is what I am going to do lol to minimize the loan as much as possible.
 
Actually Tuition + fees are $24,000, which I think is alright.

How much is total of in-state tuition, the professional fee (tuition differential) and mandatory fees per semester for a PharmD student?
$11,993.91 for Fall 2014.

Oh you should have asked your classmates/people in SDN or even me about housing. As I said, you can get a very decent place for relatively cheap price ($400-$500) with roommate/s if you know where to look. (If you go up to north tucson, you can get places cheaper too) As for your budget, I think you can cut your budget in various places if you live frugally. For example, for me, around $150 worth of groceries will last me almost two months? (I usually buy bunch of frozen chicken) Not sure what you mean by standards but expect to live like dirt poor college student. Well that is what I am going to do lol to minimize the loan as much as possible.

wow... 🙂
 
I wish... if you like talking **** then I guess you would actually enjoy reading **** Sorry I had to spell all out for you. Again I understand now the reasons why the PCAT is including a vocabulary section and a reading section. I support the PCAT 🙂

I was hoping for an actual reason/ evidence why the PCAT matters, not this random drivel.

The California schools realized a long time ago it's a terrible predictor of academic success.
 
@Irelia
My plan was to only take out enough loans to pay for tuition, books, rent, health/car insurance and phone service. I plan to use the money I earn from work to cover my food, toiletries, clothing, and parking expenses. I guess I will look for a cheaper place next year. I was going to shop at the dollar store and order a bucket of rice online to cut costs, but if you know good places to shop, then by all means please share.
 
Last edited:
I was hoping for an actual reason/ evidence why the PCAT matters, not this random drivel.

The California schools realized a long time ago it's a terrible predictor of academic success.

I did give you reasons just that you did not bother to read and instead give me ****... pls look above again...

anyway I hope CA trashes the MCAT too for me 🙂
 
Last edited:
I was hoping for an actual reason/ evidence why the PCAT matters, not this random drivel.

The California schools realized a long time ago it's a terrible predictor of academic success.

The PCAT is a standardized test that reflects an applicant's ability to excel in certain areas. Each university has different levels of rigor, so grades might vary among applicants; however, the PCAT is a more fair reflection of everyone's competence. In order to thin the ranks and weed out people more barriers have to exist. It may seem inconvenient or unfortunate, but if an applicant wants to attend that school, then he or she should be prepared to jump through hoops.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping for an actual reason/ evidence why the PCAT matters, not this random drivel.

The California schools realized a long time ago it's a terrible predictor of academic success.


OK... so I am sitting down now to answer you. Not that I care whether you actually read my reply. I also care less about your condescending tone or what California is thinking or doing. I only care that other people who are reading those posts that might be thinking you are right. California is not always right on everything. (If California is, they are not a bankrupt state as it is now). Neither is everyone else on this planet. Nobody can always be right about everything.

but here let me repost my reply and your immediate response here for the record,

Do any of you geniuses have data to correlate high PCAT scores with actual employment outcomes and academic success?

what is/are your point(s) of asking that question ?? Ask Steve Jobs if he scored high on any test or even graduated from a school 🙂 lol

In life, most highly educated people with advanced degrees are slaves to the ones that have lesser degrees or even do not have any at all. Academic performance and/or achievement never correlate with life success at all, if you care to look throughout history.

But testing/grading/scoring is as old as civilization because it is one of the very few objective ways to equalize and differentiate the best from the rest, whether for admission purposes or the measurement of academic/professional competency. Schools around the world all use some sorts of testing for admission. I understand that you might imply here that PCAT is useless in pharmacy admission ?? If so, this is exactly the thing people who are supporting or benefiting from the lower standards of pharmacy admission like to hear. IMHO PCAT is the only constant in the admission process because it is standardized.

Actual employment data/outcomes are not black and white. People with great connections/hookups/favors/great BS skills get accepted for the jobs over the ones who are actually qualified all the time. The point is there are many factors playing in the case of employment data, not just PCAT or high academic performance/achievement.

As for PCAT scores and in-pharmacy school academic performance, I do not look to find the data to support the correlation but I believe they do correlate. Remember that even with available studies, for or against, we still need to examine/cross-examine/peer review to confirm the validity of those studies, not just taking their results blindly. Also studies or not, we have SAT/ACT for college admission, MCAT for med school admission, DAT for dental, LSAT for laws, etc. Ask yourself if those exams would correlate with academic performance in those respective schools. Or with the actual employment outcomes of those professionals in real life.

Yet we have to have some sort of objective ways for admission, i.e. standardized testing, because it is fair and transparent for every applicants in the admission process. In fact, it is the only thing that is fair and transparent in the entire admission process. If you want to go to a school, you have to take tests. If you are in school, you have to take tests. If you want to graduate, you have to take tests. If you want to have a license to practice your profession, you have to take tests. Is there any kind of guarantee in life that you would get a job after you have passed all those tests ?? is there any guarantee that a high PCAT score person would not be lacking of and become complacent in pharmacy school ?? Nooooooo......

Human is very complicated. Asking whether or not PCAT would correlate with actual employement outcomes and academic success is funny imho 🙂


TL;DR...can you truncate that, i'm too busy for this ****.


I really like HobbitJane's answer, which he/she put very well here,

The PCAT is a standardized test that reflects an applicant's ability to excel in certain areas. Each university has different levels of rigor, so grades might vary among applicants; however, the PCAT is a more fair reflection of everyone's competence. In order to thin the ranks and weed out people more barriers have to exist. It may seem inconvenient or unfortunate, but if an applicant wants to attend that school, then he or she should be prepared to jump through hoops.


here are my thoughts:

-you look at standardized tests in general and the PCAT in particular the wrong way, i.e. you want it to be be the predictor of academic success and/or employment outcome. The PCAT is not designed to be used to predict academic success and/or employment outcome. The PCAT is designed to measure the academic competency of the candidates for the prerequisite for pharmacy admission and should be used only for such purposes.

-For school admission, when there are less available seats than the number of applicants, schools throughout history generally uses standard testing to weed out candidates. Standardized testing means that everyone would have to take the same tests in the same conditions, and be graded to the same scales/grading standards. Why standardized testing ?? The reason is that it is one of the fairest and most transparent and objective way that is possible to weed out people, if not the fairest and most transparent and objective way to achieve that goal.

Not to say that all people who got weed out cannot be successful in pharmacy schools if they all got admitted. But as the balance tilted more toward the number of applicants (vs less seats), there would be more tests of more difficult levels and higher admission standards and requirements to weed out the applicants. If less applicants, but more seats, then less tests and/or easier tests (or even no test at all) and lower admission standards and requirements would happen as the result to let in more or attract more applicants as schools trying to fill those seats.

Can other standardized tests for admission to medical schools like the MCAT for med schools, DAT for dental, SAT?ACT for college, etc be used to predict future academic success and/or employement outcome ?? The answer is NO. They are not designed for such purposes and again should not be used for those purposes. In fact there is no test that I have known of could reliably predict future academic success and/or employment outcome. Those standard tests are designed to measure the competency of the students/applicants in those required area of knowledge for those respective schools and also as the fairest, most transparent and objective way that is possible to weed out candidates for limited numbers of seats.

As for Cali pharm schools not requiring the PCAT, to be honest, I think that they actually do NOT want everyone to have the fairest, most transparent and objective way that is possible to obtain admission to their pharm schools as they probably want to admit Californians only. Nobody, except those people on those admission committees of those Cali pharm schools, could now actually tell why they would pick this candidate or that candidate over other candidates for admission. How the effing could anyone compare the difference in the quality of GPAs or majors or courses from so many different schools (with so many different academic standards) or the quality of EC of one candidate to that of the next candidate or the quality of different LORs ??

The answer is clear that they could "discreetly" pick anyone as they wish and would not admit anyone that they do not like to admit for the real reasons that only they would know.

As I have already stated above, I hope CA would also scrape the MCAT for med school admission, DAT for dental schools and heck even the NAPLEX and CPJE for their pharmacist license. Why not ?? They have already done away the PCAT for their pharmacy schools, so let's be consistent and go all the way 🙂 LOL
 
Last edited:
wow... 🙂

Lol yea looking back I have no clue how I did that. But what this means is Tucson grocery prices are pretty cheap. So with $150-$200 you can buy A LOT of food. I would also usually make full pot of curry and that would last me like 5 days at least. (well also I didn't eat breakfast so I guess that helped saving money) Guess I was bit extreme...lol

@Irelia
My plan was to only take out enough loans to pay for tuition, books, rent, health/car insurance and phone service. I plan to use the money I earn from work to cover my food, toiletries, clothing, and parking expenses. I guess I will look for a cheaper place next year. The only reason I wanted to live on campus is because I thought it would cut my fuel expenses. I was going to shop at the dollar store and order a bucket of rice online to cut costs, but if you know good places to shop, then by all means please share.

I think living a bit father but cheaper price may be saving more money overall. I usually walked to school (around 20-25 minutes) which was painful during the summer but worth saving money. (Biking is a good idea but that will get stolen 90% of the times lol) Yea that is pretty much what I did. My roommates and I got like cheapest 25 - 30lb of rice and that would last us forever.
 
Lol yea looking back I have no clue how I did that. But what this means is Tucson grocery prices are pretty cheap. So with $150-$200 you can buy A LOT of food. I would also usually make full pot of curry and that would last me like 5 days at least. (well also I didn't eat breakfast so I guess that helped saving money) Guess I was bit extreme...lol



I think living a bit father but cheaper price may be saving more money overall. I usually walked to school (around 20-25 minutes) which was painful during the summer but worth saving money. (Biking is a good idea but that will get stolen 90% of the times lol) Yea that is pretty much what I did. My roommates and I got like cheapest 25 - 30lb of rice and that would last us forever.

that is impressive !! I like your walking to school to save on the gas but I do not think we can do without a car. Also you do not wanna be malnourished and/or not having enough energy for school & work or falling sick by eating all that rice and chicken curry. You brain and body need all that energy you can feed for all that studying 🙂

another way I imagine would be more practical is eating very light breakfast and/or lunch, e.g. some homemade sandwich and juice or some fruits then go to the buffet like Golden Coral or even some Chinese buffets in the evening for like 10 bucks. You would have to spend like $300-400 a month and not have to cook or wash dishes and save all that time for study or resting. No movies, no shopping, no clubbing, etc would also add a lot to the saving too. Realistically, I think, with the rent + health/car insurance + phone/internet, etc you probably have to spend a min ~ $800-1,000 a month for all the living expenses.
 
Last edited:
@Irelia I will remain frugal and realistic as the years go by. Thanks for your input 🙂

@oldstock My family never ate out when I was younger so going to a buffet would be like a luxury to me. I plan on living on frozen vegetables, some fresh fruit, eggs, oatmeal, chicken and rice. My main objective will be to survive, so Chipotle/fancy meals and entertainment will have to be placed on hold. Thanks for your advice.
 
Last edited:
Just interesting to note...

I know USPHS isn't the whole world - but it seems like pharmacy students no longer have this option to pursue...

http://www.usphs.gov/apply/apply.aspx

Physicians and dentists are still in demand at USPHS.

Not the greatest marker of the universal demand needs for each health-care profession by any means - but it is an interesting observation.

Anyway, @HobbitJane proposes a great idea for all graduate students. Live cheap and keep debt to an all-time low as possible.
 
hi hobbit jane, is there anything acpe can do to stop the saturation? everyone i asked said don't do pharmacy school and it is really discouraging because i have worked as a pharmacy clerk for 5 years and really enjoy working with people yet my pharmacist in charge tells me even he thinks he's going to get cut because all the managers know theres too many pharmacists and i heard maybe 50 applications per one open spot. i am very scared because i am already 23 years old and have only done pharmacy with my life and now if pharmacists wont be able to pay off tuition money it's going to be very scary and negative thoughts for a lot of people
 
@HobbitJane

Well, from what I gathered, you are from Phoenix right? The thing is I do not really understand how UA COP is ranked top 10...I graduated from University of Arizona and many of my friends are in College of Pharmacy, so I know/heard a lot of stuff about the school.

Like for example last year, acceptance rate was over 50%.... The class size was ~110 and only around 200 students applied. (Maybe it is because they do not use pharmcas but still...it is top 10 school....) Apparently, my friends told me class of 2017 is the dumbest class they have ever seen. (they think each class is getting dumber and dumber lol....) This professor said that he hasn't seen this low of a test score in his class and he has been teaching there over 20+ years lol. Also, UA COP has to accept 90% instate (because of the state law), which I think really hinders diversity/financial resource of a top 10 school. That is why some of my friends and I are not attending UA COP although we got accepted this year. (Also the fact that most graduates end up in retail.) Actually, I was bit surprised that you couldn't find any internship in Tucson because it is a pretty big city.

Oh man, this is amazing. Thanks for the laugh, even if it is 9 months later.
 
Oh man, this is amazing. Thanks for the laugh, even if it is 9 months later.
Agreed.

Also, I'm not aware of a state law requiring 90% acceptance of in state.

As for "most graduates end up in retail", that's probably true for every school considering the number of residencies there are and the trend toward "residency preferred" hospital positions.

Gotta say, UA did a damn decent job of teaching me the things I need to know to make it through a tough residency.