recent UCSD or Drew acceptances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjb

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, i havent heard of a straight ucsd acceptance for a while, and only a few drew period. just wondering if any of u guys got in recently, or herad about anything.

thanks,

b

Members don't see this ad.

i talked to someone in admissions a few days ago and it seems like theyve offered about 20 acceptances. but i dont know the number that took the spot or are declining. recruitment day was this past weekend so i think a lot of drew prospects may have attended. i think with drew theyre reevaluating as they hear back from people. good luck :)

one of my friend got into ucsd last week ... hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who got into Drew last week.

straight ucsd acceptances are no longer available. all further admits will be coming from the acceptable pool/waitlist as prospectives withdraw.

Newquagmire said:
straight ucsd acceptances are no longer available. all further admits will be coming from the acceptable pool/waitlist as prospectives withdraw.
by any chance, do you know how many people are typically pullled off the acceptable pool and admitted.

Long_John said:
by any chance, do you know how many people are typically pooled off the acceptable and admitted.

i'm reading "pooled" as "pulled." i don't know for certain, but i think there's a fair amount of waitlist movement here because ucsd typically competes for students who have some other very nice options. if you're interested in more concrete figures, try emailing yvonne coleman.

any recent rejections, waitlist or any news from Drew anyone?

Just got my waitlist letter from Drew today. Freaked out because it was a "thin" envelope, but turned out sort of okay. Drinking a beer and working on my LOI. Can't sleep.

prana_md said:
Just got my waitlist letter from Drew today. Freaked out because it was a "thin" envelope, but turned out sort of okay. Drinking a beer and working on my LOI. Can't sleep.

good stuff. when did u apply?

do they reject post interview?

good luck!!

Drew acceptance in the mail today!!!!! Definitely going@@@

rjb said:
good stuff. when did u apply?

do they reject post interview?

good luck!!

pgchemist1 said:
Drew acceptance in the mail today!!!!! Definitely going@@@

wow!

when did u interview!
what did the letter say?
i thought aguilera calls people?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard that Drew was full and not taking anyone off the WL :(
i was told to reapply next year though, which is really cool if i want to be a dr when I am 30

grrrrr...

who did you hear that from?!

I heard that Drew was full and not taking anyone off the WL
i was told to reapply next year though, which is really cool if i want to be a dr when I am 30

Not encouraging as I spend my Saturday night writing my LOI to Drew. I interviewed there 4/9 and received a waitlist letter dated 4/15 (that took until 4/21 to get to me ... LA to SF!?!)
And gochicago ... I AM 30 ;)
More details re: Drew, pleez?

prana_md said:
Not encouraging as I spend my Saturday night writing my LOI to Drew. I interviewed there 4/9 and received a waitlist letter dated 4/15 (that took until 4/21 to get to me ... LA to SF!?!)
And gochicago ... I AM 30 ;)
More details re: Drew, pleez?

I also interviewed 4/9 (I know who you are, Prana...I was the guy from Cincinnati), got my "alternate list" letter dated 4/22 on 4/28. Wonder how the rest of the folks who interviewed with (and after!) us did....

I hope gochicago is a troll.

ucsd gave out ~300 offers for ~120 spots. if the past is any indication, the waitlist will move come may 15th. hang in!

Newquagmire said:
ucsd gave out ~300 offers for ~120 spots. if the past is any indication, the waitlist will move come may 15th. hang in!

How did you know? Last I heard they gave out 220 offers for 122 spots?

Let me know. How many people move on the wait list?

Thanks.

If this is true, the future doesn't look bright for us acceptable poolers. Historically, UCSD accepts a little over 300 applicants to fill a class of 120. If UCSD has given out ~300 offers already, there will be little movement on its waitlist.

Newquagmire said:

sdnstud said:
If this is true, the future doesn't look bright for us acceptable poolers. Historically, UCSD accepts a little over 300 applicants to fill a class of 120. If UCSD has given out ~300 offers already, there will be little movement on its waitlist.

Hey sdnstud, i think quagmire is saying that they usually give out 300 for those spots. That doesn't mean they have offered that many already. In any case, when is the waitlist even generated?

Uegis said:
Hey sdnstud, i think quagmire is saying that they usually give out 300 for those spots. That doesn't mean they have offered that many already. In any case, when is the waitlist even generated?

I emailed Yvonne and she said the waitlist will be generated after may15th.

Uegis said:

no, i meant that they have made offers 300. granted, i asked another person in the office not directly linked to admissions.

i hate drew. stupid punks. they gave me a secondary on april 1st, took my money, and then rejected me. stupid losers. give me hope and take it away. they just wanted my money. im so angry. :mad: :mad: :mad:

**bump**

That sucks, synapse, I'd be pissed too.
any other Drew news? :scared:
anyone?
anyone?
Bueller?

Newquagmire said:
no, i meant that they have made offers 300. granted, i asked another person in the office not directly linked to admissions.

Wow, that's a lot already. For a class of under 100, this doesn't look good for me

I don't know how true this is, but according to my med school advisor, when she looked up this special handbook they have for all schools that detail admissions, she told me that it said that UCSD does not hand out acceptances greater than the number of seats available. While some schools expect a certain number of admit invitations to decline, UCSD does not do this. However, I am not certain, the book may lie. And that would suck.

I think this makes more sense. Think about it, UCSD interviewed close to 500 students. If it did accept 300 students, it means that 60% of those interviewed have been accepted. I have been following UCSD threads on SDN closely this cycle, and I am pretty sure that less than 60% of us (who interviewed) have been accepted.

supersnuffles said:
I don't know how true this is, but according to my med school advisor, when she looked up this special handbook they have for all schools that detail admissions, she told me that it said that UCSD does not hand out acceptances greater than the number of seats available. While some schools expect a certain number of admit invitations to decline, UCSD does not do this. However, I am not certain, the book may lie. And that would suck.

sdnstud said:
I think this makes more sense. Think about it, UCSD interviewed close to 500 students. If it did accept 300 students, it means that 60% of those interviewed have been accepted. I have been following UCSD threads on SDN closely this cycle, and I am pretty sure that less than 60% of us (who interviewed) have been accepted.

I was thinking the same. How could so many people turn down their offers right away, especially a school of UCSD's caliber. Back to waiting. Hopefully I'll get on the waitlist and fight it out.

prana_md said:

Drew as in Drew King? LOL! Dude you will never graduate from that school it will definitely be closed next year.

Drew as in Drew King? LOL! Dude you will never graduate from that school it will definitely be closed next year.

um, okay, saving energy for important things, like, picking my nose.

you probably think you know about King/Drew because you read the LA Times, but some of us are serious about going there, and have our facts straight.

worst case scenario, we'll graduate from UCLA. at which point I will be the one LOL.

'nuff said.

i heard a bunch of people getting into sd this week?

any word

rjb said:
i heard a bunch of people getting into sd this week?

any word
really?
I haven't seen anyone on SDN get in.

ya, he got a call tues

rjb said:
ya, he got a call tues
really, they must be getting busy. probably giving a first round of accepts this week and then dividing the rest of the acceptable pool into waitlist/reject over the next two weeks

Hey rjb, do you know if he was a straight up acceptance or accepted off the waitlist?

rjb said:
ya, he got a call tues

apool, but later interviewer

Uegis said:
I was thinking the same. How could so many people turn down their offers right away, especially a school of UCSD's caliber. Back to waiting. Hopefully I'll get on the waitlist and fight it out.

Remember, UCSD competes with students against other schools of similar caliber (read: UCLA & UCSF, not even mentioning privates like Stanford and east coast schools like HMS). Many students are bound to choose to go elsewhere. If I recall correctly, after all offers are given, a ~50% acceptance rate of interviewed applicants is fairly standard.

FYI Uegis: an incoming class is greater than and not less than 100 students

Newquagmire said:
Remember, UCSD competes with students against other schools of similar caliber (read: UCLA & UCSF, not even mentioning privates like Stanford and east coast schools like HMS). Many students are bound to choose to go elsewhere. If I recall correctly, after all offers are given, a ~50% acceptance rate of interviewed applicants is fairly standard.

FYI Uegis: an incoming class is greater than and not less than 100 students

I just realized ihe class size is around 120. I understand that they do compete with some of the top schools, but at the same time, I am surprised that so many people (around 180) delince their offer off the bat before the May 15th deadline. I am surprised that 180 people did turn down the school, but that is a huge amount for a top school so early before the May 15th deadline. According to US News, in 2003, they interviewed 521, accepted 274. These numbers are after the app cycle was over. Given that the applicant pool went up, it still seems a bit lot to have offered 300 acceptances already, surpassing the final numbers for 2003 already. Again, just pointing it out. I know as much as anyone, which isn't must. I'm sure you are more familiar with the admissoins at UCSD than I am, but just that I am amazed that so many people in fact turned down UCSD so early. Thanks for asking though. It gives me some peace of mind that I should plan ahead. Of course, I do hope I get in off the acceptable pool. I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Uegis said:
I just realized ihe class size is around 120. I understand that they do compete with some of the top schools, but at the same time, I am surprised that so many people (around 180) delince their offer off the bat before the May 15th deadline. I am surprised that 180 people did turn down the school, but that is a huge amount for a top school so early before the May 15th deadline. According to US News, in 2003, they interviewed 521, accepted 274. These numbers are after the app cycle was over. Given that the applicant pool went up, it still seems a bit lot to have offered 300 acceptances already, surpassing the final numbers for 2003 already. Again, just pointing it out. I know as much as anyone, which isn't must. I'm sure you are more familiar with the admissoins at UCSD than I am, but just that I am amazed that so many people in fact turned down UCSD so early. Thanks for asking though. It gives me some peace of mind that I should plan ahead. Of course, I do hope I get in off the acceptable pool. I'm just trying to make sense of it all.

Anyone who thinks UCSD had already given out 300 acceptances prior to May 15th is a gullible, trusting, and complete idiot.

If you people can't figure it out for yourselves, there is no way the school would risk offering that many acceptances for a class size of 120. What if 10 more people decided to come here than in years past, like 130 out of 300? That is completely possible, so there is no way that many have been given out. I'd guess they've given out acceptances equal to their class size.

dannyl said:
Anyone who thinks UCSD had already given out 300 acceptances prior to May 15th is a gullible, trusting, and complete idiot.

If you people can't figure it out for yourselves, there is no way the school would risk offering that many acceptances for a class size of 120. What if 10 more people decided to come here than in years past, like 130 out of 300? That is completely possible, so there is no way that many have been given out. I'd guess they've given out acceptances equal to their class size.

That's exactly the thought that came to my mind when I read that 300 acceptances had already been given out. It doesn't make any sense, does it?

dannyl said:

then next time, you can ask the OSA :rolleyes:

to Uegis: if these numbers are correct, it is more accurate to say ~180 offers have been declined before or AT the may 15th deadline. i think most people overestimate the amount of waitlist movement. certainly, it does move, but recognize that a fair number of people choose not to partake in the uncertainty that is the waitlist. further, when UCSD makes offers from the waitlist, it comes in the form of an "are you still interested?" according to USNews criteria, this does not count as an offer of admission and is not recorded in the final tally.

Newquagmire said:
then next time, you can ask the OSA :rolleyes:

Hey Cool Guy,

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but admissions officers, secretaries, and even deans have been known to not always be straightforward and either *a* not completely understand your question and give an unrelated answer, *b* understand your question but give you a run-around response, or even *c* (you may want to take a seat for this one dude) just give you any answer to get you off their backs (GASP!). Take everything you hear with not only a grain of salt, but maybe huge freaken chunk of it.

Use your common sense. No school would ever count on 180 out of 300 people withdrawing their acceptances. Come on now.

Stanford_Playah said:
That's exactly the thought that came to my mind when I read that 300 acceptances had already been given out. It doesn't make any sense, does it?

Hey Stanford_Playah, did you pick UCD or UCSD? Didn't you get into Stanford too? Man, your application must rock.

Uegis said:
Hey Stanford_Playah, did you pick UCD or UCSD? Didn't you get into Stanford too? Man, your application must rock.

I sent you a private message thing.

If the admission committee is still hosting a biweekly meeting, the coming Monday will be the judgement day for all the people, including me, in the acceptable pool. We're either on the waitlist or rejected.

dannyl said:
Hey Cool Guy,

I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but admissions officers, secretaries, and even deans have been known to not always be straightforward and either *a* not completely understand your question and give an unrelated answer, *b* understand your question but give you a run-around response, or even *c* (you may want to take a seat for this one dude) just give you any answer to get you off their backs (GASP!). Take everything you hear with not only a grain of salt, but maybe huge freaken chunk of it.

Use your common sense. No school would ever count on 180 out of 300 people withdrawing their acceptances. Come on now.

like i said before: if you don't believe me or my sources, next time you can ask the OSA.

now play nice before i get annoyed please.