Recent Visits and Info

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pushinepi2

Bicarb chaser
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quinn... and colleagues,

Word up to you, my friend. As long as I have been lurking on this forum, you've been busy posting and advising. To that end, I wanted to contribute in my own admittedly meager way by starting a recent thread about ER electives. I'm completing a fourth year EM elective and have been to two or three EM programs. For what its worth, I'll include a snapshot of UF Jacksonville. By the way, I plan on visiting TGH in December, so I hope I can finally meet Neo through the looking glass.

UF Jacksonville is a program to be respected. Crack cocaine and bad areas of town aside, this place has its stuff together. An excellent urban emergency medicine example, the ED is pretty much "resident run." ED residents complete nearly all intubations and procedures. The physical plant is a bit old and is divided into the following areas: Trauma, Resuscitation, Intensive Care, Intermediate Care, and Fast Track / FLex care. Students are assigned to all areas, including the separate Pedi ED, with the notable exception of Flex care. The PD's here in Jacksonville think that students might benefit from exposure to higher acuity areas. For those folks dying to match at an EM program, the months of September and October are ideal to visit. The PD's know that most students who show up early have a keen interested in matching at a competitive program. In most areas, you'll be assigned a patient or two or three and expected to formulate an HP, DDX, and treatment plan. Teaching rounds in the ICU area of the ED last about an hour and you are encouraged to present your patient(s) during this time. The program is chock full of didactics, complete with both student and resident lectures. Every thursday featues "protected" lectures that include a weekly M and M topic and some discussion.

The ED is fairly busy; sometimes traumas can arrive three or more simultaneously. The trauma center is a joint effort between Sx and Ed services. Senior EM and sx residents alternate "running the resus" and airway responsibilities. EM interns get first dibs at all medical intubations. Students in the resus area pretty much observe but are welcome to assist whenever you can squeeze your way inbetween interns, special forces medics, residents, and attendings. I consider myself fairly aggressive and have managed to place three central lines, suture several times, and drain some abscesses. Considering the # of residents from each service, students benefit from the large ED census in terms of procedural time. You are required to complete two ride alongs. Unfortunately, trauma one flight time is not a fourth year medical student option.

All that said, I've got a couple of more shifts. The attendings are by and large helpful and residents manage to get some teaching in despire their occasionally heavy patient load. Dorms are available for visiting students, and you'll be given a detailed orientation packet upon your arrival at the uFHSCJ campus.

Best wishes to all in the upcoming match! I'm off to Worcester, MA next month-- any pointers?

Back through the looking glass,

Ben Lawner, MSIV, EMT-P
Nova Southeastern University
College of Osteopathic Medicine

Members don't see this ad.