Recently accepted but simple question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

John1234214

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted and I have been thinking about what type of field I want to go into. I am thinking family medicine or PM&R or something like that. But I was wondering if there were opportunities within maybe PM&R sub-specialty or another specialty\ that work primarily with people with developmental disabilities? I have a lot of experience in the area and definitely want to look into anything like that because I think it would be a great field for me. Obviously I have years ahead of me to find stuff but I just am super excited and wanted to start thinking about options now. I tried to look online but I could not really find anything. Thanks everyone. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I was recently accepted and I have been thinking about what type of field I want to go into. I am thinking family medicine or PM&R or something like that. But I was wondering if there were opportunities within maybe PM&R sub-specialty or another specialty\ that work primarily with people with developmental disabilities? I have a lot of experience in the area and definitely want to look into anything like that because I think it would be a great field for me. Obviously I have years ahead of me to find stuff but I just am super excited and wanted to start thinking about options now. I tried to look online but I could not really find anything. Thanks everyone. :)
Med-Peds might be someting to look into. You basically care for these types of patients their entire lives from childhood on. The nice part about medicine is you can pretty much choose which patients you see and specialize in, even if you aren't "fellowship" trained.

Just search general practice guidelines for each specialty to kinda get a feel for what they do. Fellowship options also kinda give a glimpse into the cases they see because it has to be common if there's a fellowship in it (not all the time but most)

Reactions: 1 user
Med-Peds might be someting to look into. You basically care for these types of patients their entire lives from childhood on. The nice part about medicine is you can pretty much choose which patients you see and specialize in, even if you aren't "fellowship" trained.

Just search general practice guidelines for each specialty to kinda get a feel for what they do. Fellowship options also kinda give a glimpse into the cases they see because it has to be common if there's a fellowship in it (not all the time but most)
Thank you, honestly I have never even heard of med-peds before. Definitely going to take a look at it going forward and see if there might be any opportunities to do a rotation or maybe shadow someone. Thank you! :)

If you do pediatrics, or Med-Peds - you can do a pediatric fellowship in "developmental-behavioral pediatrics" and be board certified in that particular field of pediatrics. There's no adult equivalent, but if you do Med-Peds, followed by a developmental-behavioral pediatrics fellowship, you have the option of continuing to see your patients into their adult years (since you will be board certified in General Pediatrics, General Internal Medicine, and Developmental-Behavioral Pediatrics)