Recently considering career in pharmacy. HALP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

StHeart

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this forum is filled to the brim with useful strategies and advice (mmmm brain food).

I currently reside in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I am 22 years and have been searching for a field to pursue which fits my personality and after having considered many options I am relatively sure (how's that for an oxymoron) that I choose you! Pharmacy!

The problem is, I did not take any significant science in high school and NO biology. On top of that, I took Communications in Cegep (similar to College except in Quebec) and so ditched the whole world of Math, Biology, and Science. I graduated with my Communications Degree and applied for English Literature at Concordia University and after having taken it for two terms can't stand it anymore. I need more purpose in my life. And I am really starting to hunger for knowledge in the sciences.

I am now out of University and researching pharmacy. I think the first steps are the hardest so I am reaching out for any advice on where to turn now.

1. Should I contact my University to try and apply for a more scientific Undergraduate program?

2. If so, don't I need better prerequisites than the ones I have right now (ie Communications degree and no biology experience).

I want to build a solid foundation in my scientific knowledge and I want to attack any new course head on to stand out amongst the crowd. I am tired of living in mediocrity and I know I have what it takes to improve my situation. Shmanks SDN

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey Danny

So first things first, if you're sure that you want to go into pharmacy then you should start taking courses in the sciences. These usually include

1 year bio
1 year gen chem
1 year o chem
1 year physics
1 year math
1 year english

I'm sure that you have already finished some of these especially english. Note that these courses are only the bare minimum and schools may require many more courses such as physiology and microbiology.

Other things that you should consider doing include shadowing a local pharmacist or even getting pharm tech certification.

Lastly, you mentioned that you were looking for purpose in your life. Are you sure that becoming a pharmacist will bring purpose to your life? Just some things to think about. Be sure to check each school you are planning to apply to and make a list of all the required courses.

Good luck :)

Hey Danny

So first things first, if you're sure that you want to go into pharmacy then you should start taking courses in the sciences. These usually include

1 year bio
1 year gen chem
1 year o chem
1 year physics
1 year math
1 year english

I'm sure that you have already finished some of these especially english. Note that these courses are only the bare minimum and schools may require many more courses such as physiology and microbiology.

Other things that you should consider doing include shadowing a local pharmacist or even getting pharm tech certification.

Lastly, you mentioned that you were looking for purpose in your life. Are you sure that becoming a pharmacist will bring purpose to your life? Just some things to think about. Be sure to check each school you are planning to apply to and make a list of all the required courses.

Good luck :)

Wow that's a nice mish mash of different courses. Looking through my current University's Undergraduate Calender, there are different Majors to be taken including Biology, Physiology, Chemistry etc but how would one go about consolidating all these required courses into a single program? For example, I know applying to Biology or Chemistry etc would be useless because I would never be accepted.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong area? I just need a way to shove my foot in the door despite not having any scientific background to help me be accepted anywhere.

Lots of information and questions...

Congrats on choosing pharmacy - It is a rewarding career, with lots of challenges and rewards.

Please read our Prepharmacy FAQ - as a lot of initial questions about pharmacy can be answered there. Also, feel free to post in the WAMC (What are my chances?) thread as well. Both the FAQ and the WAMC thread are located at the top of the pre-pharmacy forum.

Also - please utilize the SEARCH function to find information - many questions not found in the FAQ have been discussed at one time or another - and SEARCH can find these subjects.

If, after doing all of the above, you still have questions - feel free to post up.