Recently decided to apply AOA OB/GYN, need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ce0000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wanted to get an opinion about what to do in my current situation. I'm currently a 3rd year male, DO student with a 488 comlex level 1, 1st time pass, took usmle step 1 and failed (188), decided not to retake and go the AOA route. I was mainly an average student with no red flags (except the failed step 1), and have 3 publications and a few volunteer experiences. Clinical grades have been passes, with a few high passes, and 1 honors. Currently on my OB/GYN rotation, and am expecting to get honors. Up until now I thought I wanted to go into EM and then only recently decided to switch to OB/GYN. I have 3 auditions set up for EM already but am having trouble getting any OB/GYN auditions this late in the game. So my question is, should i even bother trying to apply AOA OB/GYN with my stats, with the possibility of not getting any audition rotations? Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Wanted to get an opinion about what to do in my current situation. I'm currently a 3rd year male, DO student with a 488 comlex level 1, 1st time pass, took usmle step 1 and failed (188), decided not to retake and go the AOA route. I was mainly an average student with no red flags (except the failed step 1), and have 3 publications and a few volunteer experiences. Clinical grades have been passes, with a few high passes, and 1 honors. Currently on my OB/GYN rotation, and am expecting to get honors. Up until now I thought I wanted to go into EM and then only recently decided to switch to OB/GYN. I have 3 auditions set up for EM already but am having trouble getting any OB/GYN auditions this late in the game. So my question is, should i even bother trying to apply AOA OB/GYN with my stats, with the possibility of not getting any audition rotations? Appreciate the feedback guys, thanks
So I am currently finishing my 2nd year of residency in OB/Gyn (as a male). What I would tell you is that if you really have a strong interest in OB, you should apply. With that being said, know that there are a few DO programs that will not interview you unless you have rotated there. Having been involved in 2 interview/selection processes now, I can tell you that while Level 1 scores are looked at, a big improvement from Level 1 to 2 shows a lot. The biggest things that we look at, especially as a male applicant, are how well would you fit into the program and why women's health. My advice to you would be to rock Level 2, pass the PE, get strong LORs, and while its never wrong to have a "backup plan," this specialty has become competitive and if it's what you want, go for it.