Recidency with low gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alien4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been told that GPA doesnt really matter from practicing PODs but, if you hypothetically get Cs (2.0) in our time, how much would that really impact getting a residency?

Members don't see this ad.

At the end of the day (meaning in the real world) it may not matter, but it does reflect your grasp on the material. Having straight C's will not preclude you from landing a residency although it will make things a bit more difficult. A lot GPA limits where you can/should clerk and which programs will consider you for a residency spot. Doing well at a clerkship can trump a bad GPA, but in a lot of cases a decent GPA is what gets you in the door.

<3.0 applicants are not considered at my program for residency interview invites. So it can defiantly matter.

If an applicant has <3.0 it does not mean they will not get a residency but it may limit their options.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question along these lines as well. For some of the more elite residency programs, although they say that they will allow students to clerk with 3.0 gpa, it's pretty obvious those students would hardly ever stand a chance. What do you think is a realistic cut off point for some of the more elite residency programs out there? In my opinion, I would have to imagine that someone with around a 3.4 or a 3.5 would have a tough time competing at these programs unless they really shined during their rotation. What about someone with around a 3.6-3.7? Would the top programs even consider that to be a favorable gpa, or would students in that range still really have to really shine during their rotations? I know that to perform well on rotations is ALWAYS the ideal situation and goal, I'm just trying to figure out what is a GPA that some of the top (or more selective) programs would be comfortable seeing on a transcript.

Class rank matters more than GPA, as it's the only way to objectively compare students at different schools; however, as above, there is generally a cut-off point at most decent programs that will not get you an interview.

GPA definitely DOES matter in landing a good program. But after that, it's completely moot.

Last edited:
I have a question along these lines as well. For some of the more elite residency programs, although they say that they will allow students to clerk with 3.0 gpa, it's pretty obvious those students would hardly ever stand a chance. What do you think is a realistic cut off point for some of the more elite residency programs out there? In my opinion, I would have to imagine that someone with around a 3.4 or a 3.5 would have a tough time competing at these programs unless they really shined during their rotation. What about someone with around a 3.6-3.7? Would the top programs even consider that to be a favorable gpa, or would students in that range still really have to really shine during their rotations? I know that to perform well on rotations is ALWAYS the ideal situation and goal, I'm just trying to figure out what is a GPA that some of the top (or more selective) programs would be comfortable seeing on a transcript.

At least a 3.0 to get yourself in the door is all you really need. Your personality and knowledge (which may or may not correlate with your gpa) are more important on externships and are ultimately what will get you a program.

I believe the fact of the matter is something like >95% of students will probably end up get residency. The 5% left out its hard to believe that GPA would be the soul factor. Just do your best, work hard and don't give up. Where you land, is where you land. There will always be a spot for a motivated, hard working individual. You just have to be more strategic of where you apply if your under the 3.0 threshold.