For the low gpa students that got into pod school, how are you doing now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3rd year. Ranked top 20% in my class. >3.5 GPA

Just got some really great offers for clerkships today.
Would you mind sharing what you did to make it this far?

When time permits.

Members don't see this ad.

3.0 in undergrad. 3.8 now, not sure what my rank is.

I basically found out what works best for me and that’s what I do. Plus I don’t think it’s fair to compare undergrad to pod school. Being in the program made me take school more seriously

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You guys can go back in this thread and read what my schedule was like. I believe I posted for 1st and 2nd year what I did.

I'm at Scholl. So we are in capstones now which are essentially 6 week blocks of Radio, Surgery, Medicine and Biomechanics. I study from 6-8 each morning then just pay attention during small group discussions or whatever we have that day. Then go home and hang out with my SO and pup.

If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. SmurfeyD not sure what you mean by "where at" if you mean clerkships PM me and I'll be happy to discuss but won't be posting on here for anonymity sake.

Holy crap this makes me nervous. I had a 3.1/25 MCAT. Am I similar to these failed students with my grades?
As long as you kick it up a notch in podiatry school, you'll be fine. It's not that hard to do well, you just need to be willing to put the hours in. That's all there is to it. I wasn't the greatest student in undergrad (had a few personal issues to sort out), but I'm doing just fine now. Plenty of people reinvent themselves and end up doing well in podiatry school. The people who don't bother adjusting are usually the ones who fail out.

What happens to the people who barely pass/ get like 2.3 in the program? Do they eventually end up getting a residency?

As long as you kick it up a notch in podiatry school, you'll be fine. It's not that hard to do well, you just need to be willing to put the hours in. That's all there is to it. I wasn't the greatest student in undergrad (had a few personal issues to sort out), but I'm doing just fine now. Plenty of people reinvent themselves and end up doing well in podiatry school. The people who don't bother adjusting are usually the ones who fail out.

Reactions: 1 user
I got a lot of backlash when I posted my GPA & MCAT. I am doing fine now. As long as you know your problem and you fix it you will be ok.

Reactions: 1 user
3.2 cGPA, 2.9sGPA, 496 after 3 attempts.

Doing fine. Mid to high Bs.

Still have time for wife and pets. Should probably clean up diet and workout. No excuses for that, just need discipline.

Work hard. Be humble. Make friends.

Reactions: 3 users
What happens to the people who barely pass/ get like 2.3 in the program? Do they eventually end up getting a residency?

If you're at a 2.3 and you don't have a good reason for it, I'd be concerned when it comes match time. I wouldn't classify that as doing "well" though. I'd consider anything above a 3.0 to be "decent", and at least academically should give you a good shot at a decent program (provided everything else is in order)

If you want to get good grades and prepare yourself for the best residency possible you will put whatever time into your schooling you need.

I mean, getting 2 Cs and all Bs would put you in that range right? I can totally understand someone getting a C in anatomy or physiology.

What happens to the students who barely pass, do they get residencies? In the MD/DO world if you get a 2.0 you still can get a family Med or internal Med program.

If you're at a 2.3 and you don't have a good reason for it, I'd be concerned when it comes match time. I wouldn't classify that as doing "well" though. I'd consider anything above a 3.0 to be "decent", and at least academically should give you a good shot at a decent program (provided everything else is in order)

There is a program in Alabama that allows 2.3 gpas as their minimum.
From speaking to the academic counselor and dean at Kent grades clear the program requirements but your attitude lands you the residency.
I mean, getting 2 Cs and all Bs would put you in that range right? I can totally understand someone getting a C in anatomy or physiology.

What happens to the students who barely pass, do they get residencies? In the MD/DO world if you get a 2.0 you still can get a family Med or internal Med program.

First semester you take almost 26 credit hours. You can easily get a C in two courses that are around 5 credits and still land a 3.0 if you get A's and a few B's in the remaining courses.

Sorry to bump an old thread. Weird looking back 3 years.

Got all the clerkships I wanted and then some. Had attendings question my choices (knowing nothing about my embarrassing stats) because I played it extremely safe.

Doing very well in clerkships. Residents/attendings said I should have applied to higher places. Is what it is and it worked out- COVID cancelled a ton of places, none of mine were cancelled. Trying to visit more programs to make up for it (near impossible with current schedule). Kind of worried about selling myself short but I'll end up where I end up. Keep hearing this from a lot of residents/attendings. It all works out somehow.

Even if you have low stats, previous statement still holds.

Work your ass off. Focus on the team, not yourself (even if you have the kiss assers during your clerks). Learn as much as you can. Be helpful to the residents, but don't make more work for them. Know how to read a room. Recognize your weaknesses. Bite your ego- and address those weaknesses.

• Care
Reactions: 16 users