Reciprocity of veterinary license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soxbox

CSU PVM Class of '11
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Another thread got me thinking about this topic... so maybe someone here has the answer....

I was wondering if there are any states that will accept your veterinary licensure from another state without having to sit and take another state boards exam? I know a few certified vet techs that moved to another state and only had to take a jurisprudence exam... but not sure if it is the same with a vet license...

I am from the east coast but I am going to school in Colorado and I think I would like to stick around here for a bit after school then go back east (or maybe even the other way around)... I know some of my friends that applied through WICHE have strict agreements in returning to the state that helped support their tuition, but since I am paying OOS, I am free to go where ever I wish (I suppose the ONLY highlight of paying OOS) :)

I have checked out the American Association of Veterinary State Boards, but couldnt find my answer there (it could be there but its definitely not jumping out at me) http://www.aavsb.org/Default.aspx

Again, this wont matter for a few years but its something that I would like to start to think about sooner rather than later!

Members don't see this ad.

The AAVSB site has links to the various states' vet board websites, where you can find your answers (not on the AAVSB site itself). What I have found so far is that reciprocity may be allowed in some states, but only if you have held your vet license for 5 years in one state. Otherwise, you would have to take the exam (if required by that state; some require only a jurisprudence exam, others require a clinical exam as well).

I was licensed in California and had to become licensed in New Hampshire. My license in California did not help me in any way. For California I had to take a written clinical exam and an open-book jurisprudence exam (and get fingerprinted etc.). For NH I only had to take an open-book jurisprudence exam.