Reclassification as in-state

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

janeno

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any current pharmacy students who were able to reclassify as in-state students after starting a pharmacy school as out-of-state? If yes, what school do you attend and how difficult was the process?

Members don't see this ad.

This varies widely from school to school and state to state. You should check with the schools you are thinking about.

patmcd said:
This varies widely from school to school and state to state. You should check with the schools you are thinking about.

I tried asking some admissions people but it seems that they do not know much about it or they dont want to share the information.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's tough. At all of the University of Illinois, first you need to live here one full calender year. You have to file an Illinois income tax, get an Illinois driver's license or state ID, have an Illinois address, not receive money from parents, and the kicker, earn half of what is considered in-state tuition. I know this because I know of people wanting to change status.

Yeah it varies widely by state. Your school should have a legal residency office and they should be able to clearly spell it out for you. I was in pretty tight with ours by the time all was said and done. :rolleyes: It was a big pain for me when I moved here; I was considered a resident based on spousal information. I had to provide tons of documentation and proof. Employment info, license and vehicle registration (meaning paying more taxes!), basically everything showing you are intending to be a permanent resident for the purpose of paying taxes.

I don't know if your school has this, but mine has a program where if you receive a certain amount of scholarhips dollars, you get a special reduced rate. It is still higher than in-state tuition, but considerably lower than out-of-state. Definitely worth looking into. No one told me about it, I only found out after I was stressing about getting in-state tuition.

janeno said:
I tried asking some admissions people but it seems that they do not know much about it or they dont want to share the information.
Often times the admissions people don't know that much about it, especially at large schools with many programs. Usually there is one office that does residency classification for the entire school, you should try talking to them.

My experience is that you have to continuously bother people in these offices (financial aid, legal residency, registrar) to get anything done. Don't get discouraged and keep asking until you find someone that will help you. I know it's frustrating, but eventually you'll get to someone that will know what to do. Just don't give up until you find that person. Make them want to help you so you'll leave them alone :laugh:

janeno said:
Are there any current pharmacy students who were able to reclassify as in-state students after starting a pharmacy school as out-of-state? If yes, what school do you attend and how difficult was the process?

Dean of Admissions and/or recruiting officer may be a place to start. Typically the rule is that you have to live in the state a year before submitting application to pharmacy school. Yes as previously mentioned this varies from state-to-state, but changing state residency is hard to do as the typical rationale provided by the school for turning you down is that you can't prove that you moved to the state for other reasons then to attend pharmacy school and therefore you are not a "true resident" of the state?!

kwizard said:
Dean of Admissions and/or recruiting officer may be a place to start. Typically the rule is that you have to live in the state a year before submitting application to pharmacy school. Yes as previously mentioned this varies from state-to-state, but changing state residency is hard to do as the typical rationale provided by the school for turning you down is that you can't prove that you moved to the state for other reasons then to attend pharmacy school and therefore you are not a "true resident" of the state?!
Your right in that its not in their advantage to let you be instate, but this logic is applied much more to undergrads. Grad schools, more so PhD programs, have to attract people to their school. So often times becoming instate in much easier for grad students, and more often than not professional students are lumped in with them.

The whole in-state vs. out-of-state issue seems kind of unfair to me. I understand why they do it: tax money and so on. But than at the same time, some states have much better pharmacy programs than others. Or if you want to leave your state, it is practically impossibe to find a cheap pharmacy school outside of it.

Thank you spacecowgirl for the tip. Do you know if this tuition reduction only applies after P-1 or as soon as you start pharmacy school?