Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
...and it doesn't apply in this instance.I think the whole "Illegal things aren't illegal if no one catches them being illegal" argument has been covered sufficiently.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
...and it doesn't apply in this instance.I think the whole "Illegal things aren't illegal if no one catches them being illegal" argument has been covered sufficiently.
Thank you for opening my eyes to a world of possibilities.I think the argument is, "illegal things aren't illegal if they aren't illegal". How is saying you recognise someone breaching PHI? Do you know what PHI is?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
(2) Permitted disclosures: Limited information for identification and location purposes. Except for disclosures required by law as permitted by paragraph (f)(1) of this section, a covered entity may disclose protected health information in response to a law enforcement official's request for such information for the purpose of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person, provided that:
(i) The covered entity may disclose only the following information:
(A) Name and address;
Thank you for opening my eyes to a world of possibilities.
So, to elaborate on the rewording you performed: "Illegal things aren't illegal if they're not illegal because the thing that makes them illegal isn't illegal ifthe person using it illegally asserts they didn't acquire it from the source & the context that would make it illegal, and if you refuse to acknowledge that it's P because you're not on the premises of the place where you acquired it, it's ok?" Did I get that right?
Do I know what PHI is?
I mean... I always thought I knew. What do we really know on this earth anyway? Why are we here? Why is PHI private?
Hm... You're really making me think here.
What exactly did they mean by "Name and address"
What is a name? Is a PHI rose a PHI rose by any other name?
Is PHI only PHI if it's PHI within a certain proximity to a given premises or is the P in PHI only P in certain contexts?
Is PHI only PHI if I recognize that I obtained it solely as a covered entity in the pharmacy setting? Is PHI only PHI in my mind?
Are you asking me what PHI is in the Descartes sense?
Far out, man
What you posted literally says that name and address is permitted to be disclosed to law enforcement.
And you still seem to think just saying someone's name constitutes a HIPAA violation. It doesn't. You need two elements for a HIPAA violation. PII and PHI. What PHI is released by giving law enforcement a suspects name?
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using SDN mobile
(2) Permitted disclosures: Limited information for identification and location purposes. Except for disclosures required by law as permitted by paragraph (f)(1) of this section, a covered entity may disclose protected health information in response to a law enforcement official's request for such information for the purpose of identifying or locating a suspect, fugitive, material witness, or missing person, provided that:
(i) The covered entity may disclose only the following information:
(A) Name and address;
Where are you getting this from?
PII is never mentioned in HIPAA or the Privacy Rules.
PII is to PHI what GFR is to CrCl.
They're pretty close to the same thing, just used by different people in different guidelines.
check your privilege
How can anyone ever recognize anyone from grainy video footage anyway. I don't see how possibly knowing a name that matches a face and giving it to police is a PHI violation. The police aren't going to ask you how you know it's that person. Maybe you saw that person on Facebook, maybe they came into your pharmacy and wrote a check for the box of OTC condoms they bought, maybe you heard a friend of a friend talking about this....seriously, either do your citizen's duty and call and report, or do a Sparda and don't, but don't pretend that you are prevented to because of Hipaa, because merely identifying someone in no way says that you ever provided healthcare for them.
How to read only the OP and then hit Quick Reply
-Biding M. Time, et al. SDN. 2017.
I did read the entire thread, and I get that you were trolling (or at least think you are CYAing by pretending that you were trolling.) That is besides the point, it's still a worthy thread for discussion and for future reference. Quite likely someone will zombie this thread 10 years from now, and the more sensible replies they can read in the thread, the better.
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.