recom. letter from M.D. or D.O. ???

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by Fooman, Sep 25, 2001.

1. Fooman

Fooman Senior Member

Just wondering, did anyone of you get a recommendation letter from a M.D. instead of a D.O.?

The city where I live doesn't have many D.O. and today, the one that I was hoping to shadow, told me that his administrators wouldn't let me because of liability issues and issues of patient confidentiality.

I do have however, a M.D. that I work with, who is willing to write me one. But most of the D.O. schools require a D.O. letter of recommendation or at least that's what they prefer. Do you think a letter from a M.D. would hurt my chances?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Amra

Amra A Quiet Voice of Reason

If the MD knows you, then by all means he would be a good one to represent you to the adcoms.

In addition, even if the DO won't let you shadow, spend some time with him in the office/buy him lunch and talk about your motivations for becoming an osteopathic phyisician.

Pick up the phone book and "cold" call some DO's. Enthusiasm is an ID. :eek:

Think networking 101. We're going to need these skills throughout our careers(residencies, fellows, etc.)

Remember, if our goals mean that much to us, then nothing is going to stop us from achieving them.

-A