Recommendation Etiquette Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

thegreengreatdragon

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So, I was just wondering if it is appropriate to let recommenders know about interview invites. I applied to an early acceptance program, and I'm really happy to have gotten this far, and I wonder if it would be nice to just shoot them a quick thank you email...or would that be more appropriate after an acceptance?
Plus, a couple of them were really great about writing me an lor within just a couple of weeks (one did it in 2!), so I thought it would be nice for them to see that their hard work got me somewhere.
 
Wouldn't be an awful idea. I would wait until you (hopefully) have multiple interviews and then shoot them an update email. That way you avoid emailing them 10 times for 10 interviews.
 
It's up to you... I really don't think it matters. I let my LOR writers know that I was accepted and took that as an opportunity to thank them again for their support. The only person I told about interviews is my PI who I see every day--because she asked. But if you want to share the good news, then go for it. Just avoid sending them a play-by-play of every II you get, unless they ask for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's just the one app/interview (I'm only a rising junior, but my UG does this thing where we can apply to our school's med school end of sophomore year), so based on what you guys have said, I think I will let them know. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be super unorthodox. Thanks for the input!