Recommendation from Doctor I shadowed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

totalcommand

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, I'm sure a similar question has been asked before (but google search stanks) -

I'm thinking of getting a recommendation from a doctor (orthopaedic surgeon) I shadowed. He knows me pretty well, and I've shadowed him for about ~80hrs (and seen almost every normal procedure he does).

Do you guys think getting a rocmmendation from him is OK? I'm just wondering because it's not like I did any work for him, or took a class from him or anything.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

yeah, i got a recomendation from my cardiologist... yes, i had a heart issue.

while being a patient, he invited me to do rounds with him. i agreed. 1 year later, he wrote me a rec. turns out that my doctor is the medical director of the cardioogy unit at a hopisltal, a professor at my top choice medical school, and on the governor's board of doctors. yeah i know.. wow.

so yes, get the rec.

hell ya get the rec. especially after 80 hours of shadowing.... thats a great rec to get. Just make sure it will be a good one. I'm guessing it will be since you have done 80 hours with him. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
After undergrad was over I started working in the critical care unit of a Chicago hospital. As such, I have been exposed to myriads of doctors from an overwhelming array of specialties and I was drawn to an excellent trauma surgeon. I have attended his "Grand Rounds" lectures, admitted his patients as part of my job and I have shadowed him on my own and I have gotten to know him as a person and he has gotten to know me. I had him write me letters, why not! We've hung out for over a year now, and I figured the schools might like to hear what one of their own thought about me. In addition, my premedical advisor passed away shortly after my senior year of undergrad so I have no advisor letter to offer. Go for it! Schools supposedly like to get letters from your places of employment as well if you have graduated and are working instead of going to school. Just ask him if he feels that he can write you a good, strong letter. If he appears vague in his letter for you, you might be better off without his letter, but that is just what all the Kaplan/Princeton/etc pre-med people advise, I say go for it!

Hope this helps! :)

I got a LOR from my obgyn.

Depakote said:
Interviewers and committees love these recs (speaking through experience)...

Just don't think it'll replace a science recommendation.

Yeah, I think the most important question isn't how much time you've spent with him, so much as it is how well does he know you?
Could he write a thorough personal evaluation of the qualities you possess?

If the answer is no, then you might want to hold off; unless of course he's on some admissions board... :cool: