Recommendation letter help..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor2be17

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most DO schools require a letter from a doctor and two recommendations from a science professor but I only have one letter from a science professor. She was both my research advisor and professor for several classes so I know she is a good reference but I never spoke to any other science professors and as I graduated last year, I'm not sure how to go about getting a recommendation from a past professor, as they most likely won't remember me. I tried emailing one other professor that had told me last year she would write me a recommendation but I have not heard back from her and it has been two weeks and because I am living abroad, email is the only form of communication.. any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I would have said meet him/her but since you are abroad you can try calling your professor over the phone. Still better than email.

I would have said meet him/her but since you are abroad you can try calling your professor over the phone. Still better than email.

Phone is always the fastest and best way. If you can't call, maybe you can email someone who can get in contact with your professor, and ask your professor to email you? It's a bit direct... but you gotta do what you gotta do.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is going to be a little bit more difficult, living abroad.

Sometimes you just have to phone them. One of my professors was the nicest guy you'll meet in undergrad kind of person. He just wouldn't respond to emails! So I called him and he was just as :D :D and cheerful.

They are older folk so they are more used to phone calls than we are lol

Get Skype or OovoO or google voice, that way you can call and it is fairly inexpensive.

Definitely try for phone or interview. Be upfront about where you are in the world and what your current situation is as far as being able to meet with them in person. This will help a ton as far as getting them to help with writing a letter. Unfortunately, if you haven't done your best to get to know them through office hours, etc then this may be very difficult as professors have quite possibly had hundreds of students since you sat through class with them. I know for my letter writers, they all required that I attend office hours, ask questions and get to know them some so that they could really contribute toward my letters. Good luck.