Recommendation letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mikhail

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I need your advice, guys.
I took 3 science classes at my college, 2 general biology and org. chemistry 2.
I cannot get a recommendation letter from the premed. committee, so I've asked 2 professors, one bio and the orgo. chem to write them. The bio professor wrote it but the organic chemistry told me that because he does not know me enough and the class was big, he can write it but it's not going to be strong. The only option that I have is to ask my other biology professor to write me one. So, what do you think: is it better to have 2 strong recommendation letters from the same subject professors or to have one strong and the other "weak" from different subject professors?
Thank you very much in advance.

Mikhail

P.S.
I'm a transfer student from Russia with most science classes from there. That's why I only had to take 3 classes in the U.S.

Members don't see this ad.

Two strong. The subject doesn't matter.

Mikhail said:
Hello,
I need your advice, guys.
I took 3 science classes at my college, 2 general biology and org. chemistry 2.
I cannot get a recommendation letter from the premed. committee, so I've asked 2 professors, one bio and the orgo. chem to write them. The bio professor wrote it but the organic chemistry told me that because he does not know me enough and the class was big, he can write it but it's not going to be strong. The only option that I have is to ask my other biology professor to write me one. So, what do you think: is it better to have 2 strong recommendation letters from the same subject professors or to have one strong and the other "weak" from different subject professors?
Thank you very much in advance.

Mikhail

P.S.
I'm a transfer student from Russia with most science classes from there. That's why I only had to take 3 classes in the U.S.

Hi Mikhail,
I'd definitely go with the second bio professor. It is far better to have strong letters from professors who know you well rather then a weak one from one who barely knows you, regardless of the class. You should also get someone from a job or internship to write you one. Feel free to ask someone from Russia- as long as they can write well in English :laugh:
Udachi! (Good Luck)

Members don't see this ad :)
2 Strong. 2 Bio is very good also.

In addition, I would recommend having at least FOUR letter writers available for you (5 would be even better) as there are several schools that require four LORs (Southern Illinois and Duke are 2 specifics that I know of).

:luck:

Thank you very much for all your replies.
I have a few recommendation letters and I'm sure that all of them are strong. Two letters are from my major professors (finance), one from a biology professor, the hospital where I used to volunteer, and from a research mentor. I'm volunteering with a plastic surgeon who is going to write me one and I'm doing research in hematology where I'll ask a letter too.

I'd like to ask one question. I have one or two copies of each letter. Are there any services that I could use to get copies of these letters. I know that I cannot open these letters; but if I get secondary applications from a few school, I'll need more than one copy of the letters to send out. I don't have such service in my undergraduate college.

Thank you

Mikhail

Generally you do not send ot the letters, your letter writers do. Provide them with a stamped, pre-addressed envelope and any specific pertinent info for each school they will be writing to.

In addition make sure you have three leters from an academic source, as this is a requirement from most schools.

PBMaxx said:
Generally you do not send ot the letters, your letter writers do. Provide them with a stamped, pre-addressed envelope and any specific pertinent info for each school they will be writing to.

In addition make sure you have three leters from an academic source, as this is a requirement from most schools.

PBMaxx, if you send out secondary applications to 15 schools, for example, you should ask a peson to make 15 copies of recommendation letters and give him 15 envelops? Do you think it would be appropriate to do this?
Thank you

Mikhail said:
PBMaxx, if you send out secondary applications to 15 schools, for example, you should ask a peson to make 15 copies of recommendation letters and give him 15 envelops? Do you think it would be appropriate to do this?
Thank you

Sending out the letters yourself is a pain!!! Most schools have a LOR mailing service that you can use (ie the letter writers send the letter to the service. Then the service sends out a "letters package" to each of the schools you're interested in). If your school doesn't have this service, there's a private company called interfolio that does it. Definately the way to go.

Good Luck