Technology Recommendation On Ideal Laptop To Purchase For Medical School.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused 20

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will in the near future be purchasing a laptop in which I hope to utilize for my studies at medical school. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to provide my a recommendation on what he or she feels would be the ideal laptop to have given the fact that I will be using it specifically for my studies at medical school. One particular student on here suggested that I purchase a tablet-style laptop, while other students stated that the vast majority of the class does not use a tablet-style laptop. Unfortunately, I have never purchased a laptop before so I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could suggest the minimum amount of memory and also the minimum amount of hard drive space that the laptop that purchase have? Also, if anyone knows of a particular website or store that always has great deals, please share that information as well.

Any input on the above questions would greatly be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I will in the near future be purchasing a laptop in which I hope to utilize for my studies at medical school. I was wondering if anyone would be so kind as to provide my a recommendation on what he or she feels would be the ideal laptop to have given the fact that I will be using it specifically for my studies at medical school. One particular student on here suggested that I purchase a tablet-style laptop, while other students stated that the vast majority of the class does not use a tablet-style laptop. Unfortunately, I have never purchased a laptop before so I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could suggest the minimum amount of memory and also the minimum amount of hard drive space that the laptop that purchase have? Also, if anyone knows of a particular website or store that always has great deals, please share that information as well.

Any input on the above questions would greatly be appreciated.
Tablet can be a good choice depending on how you are planning on using your laptop for your medical school studies. Tablets allow you to take digital notes. http://www.tigerdirect.com/ usually have some good deals.

I don't know about you but i can type a hell of a lot faster than i can write. Once you go mac you'll never go back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any modern computer you can afford will work just fine.

You need something that can run acrobat and the Microsoft office suit, and possibly play videos. Any new computer can do this, just buy something within your budget.

Refurb Macbooks are usually $749. They don't have any listed right now, but keep an eye out.

In my experience, tablets offer no advantage in med school.

In my experience, tablets offer no advantage in med school.

I would agree with that. I use a tablet at work with our EMR, and use the touch screen and stylus in the exam room only. Everywhere else, I use it like a normal laptop.