Recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Impulse155

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So today I asked the Dentist who I intern for if he would write me a recommendation. He said he would and its not a problem and I told him I will bring him in a resume on friday when I see him again. While I was talking to him about it he sounded like he has never really written one before and said his wife (whos the office manager) would do it.
Do you think that it would be a smart idea if I was to bring in like a template for them or do you think this would be insulting? Or just let them write it and see what happens.

Members don't see this ad.

So today I asked the Dentist who I intern for if he would write me a recommendation. He said he would and its not a problem and I told him I will bring him in a resume on friday when I see him again. While I was talking to him about it he sounded like he has never really written one before and said his wife (whos the office manager) would do it.
Do you think that it would be a smart idea if I was to bring in like a template for them or do you think this would be insulting? Or just let them write it and see what happens.

Does the wife have a silver tongue?

Members don't see this ad :)
i think a template may come off as insulting, especially if the dentist did not ask for it. as an office manager, perhaps there is hope that his wife has sharp letter-writing skills. maybe you can give a condensed draft of your personal statement so whoever is writing the letter can have a little more to say about you on a personal level. after all, the letter will be signed by the dentist, and you're applying to dental school. that, to me, sounds good enough!

i think a template may come off as insulting, especially if the dentist did not ask for it. as an office manager, perhaps there is hope that his wife has sharp letter-writing skills. maybe you can give a condensed draft of your personal statement so whoever is writing the letter can have a little more to say about you on a personal level. after all, the letter will be signed by the dentist, and you're applying to dental school. that, to me, sounds good enough!

Yea, I will be giving them my resume. When I said template I really should have said "should I give them other recommendations", like if I went online and googled dental school recommendation but then I figured they can also do that and it my come off insulting/greedy if I am trying to have them form an unhonest recommendation.
The office manager/wife is a brilliant business person, so I am assuming that she has great writing skills.

I have an article titled "Obtaining Quality Letters of Recommendations". In this article I advise students to give the letter writer an "About Me" statement and a list of things that they could possibly highlight in your letter. I did this and received complements about my letters of recommendations.

None of the letter writers found it insulting or offensive. I simply let them know that I wrote these and they are free to use them if they desire.

I have an article titled "Obtaining Quality Letters of Recommendations". In this article I advise students to give the letter writer an "About Me" statement and a list of things that they could possibly highlight in your letter. I did this and received complements about my letters of recommendations.

None of the letter writers found it insulting or offensive. I simply let them know that I wrote these and they are free to use them if they desire.

Can you link your article?
And is an about me the same thing as a resume?

Click here for the link. A resume is fine but the "About Me" page is a little bit different. It tells little bit more about you as a person. Included are things like mission trips, current activities/club involvement, academic career, or even about your family. This helps them to "know" you and fill in any gaps they may have when writing the letter.

They may not include in your letter that you have 2 kids and involved in volunteering at the nursing home but it gives them a bit more insight into your character.

Your list can include things such as the following:
• Work ethic
• Critical thinking skills
• Capacity for empathy
• Motivation for learning
• Understanding of the profession
• Motivation for the profession
• Interpersonal skills
• Integrity
There is a variety of other things that you can include in the list.

This gives them an idea of what type of things to include in your letter. Many times they appreciate this because it helps give them ideas. I would limit your list to about 10 things.

Remember to let them know that you are giving this to them if they would "like" to use it.

Click here for the link. A resume is fine but the "About Me" page is a little bit different. It tells little bit more about you as a person. Included are things like mission trips, current activities/club involvement, academic career, or even about your family. This helps them to "know" you and fill in any gaps they may have when writing the letter.

They may not include in your letter that you have 2 kids and involved in volunteering at the nursing home but it gives them a bit more insight into your character.

Your list can include things such as the following:
• Work ethic
• Critical thinking skills
• Capacity for empathy
• Motivation for learning
• Understanding of the profession
• Motivation for the profession
• Interpersonal skills
• Integrity
There is a variety of other things that you can include in the list.

This gives them an idea of what type of things to include in your letter. Many times they appreciate this because it helps give them ideas. I would limit your list to about 10 things.

Remember to let them know that you are giving this to them if they would "like" to use it.
+1

e84a7a66-adf4-45e3-9002-4bf4e68d46b0.jpg