Recommendations about Weird Situation and Schedule

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shooter33

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just want to lay out my situation and get some good feedback about it. So here it is. Right now I'm attending a CC. Come next may I will be leaving for 2 years to serve a mission for my church. In order to be able to transfer to a UNI. and finish my pre-reqs when I get back I have to get my A.S. But I also want to finish as much pre-reqs as I can before I have to take 2 years off the subject and come back and try to pick it back up. This is my schedule thus far. I also have included the classes I got credit for AP and Clep.

* = Required for A.S.
$ = Pre Req in order to take Pharm Pre Req
@ = Pharm School Pre Req

*Hist 1700 (AP)
*Art 1010 (Clep)
*Eng 2200 (AP)
*ENG 1010 (AP)
*Hum 1010 (Clep)

Summer 08
*Psychology 1010 (A)
*CIS 1200 (A)
*LIB (A)
*Math 1010 (A)

Fall 08
*Chem 1010
*Bio 1010
$Math 1065
$Biol 1610
$Biol 1615

Spring 08
*Eng 2010
@Math 1210
@Biol 2420
@Bio 2325
@Biol2320

So what I wanted to know is are the fall and spring semesters realistic or will I get worn out? I'll be a full time student with no job. My main goal is to just get as much done as I can before I leave and not have to come back and rely on what I previously learned. Any suggestions will be great. Sorry this is a little much; I just want to be on the right path.
Thanks again

Members don't see this ad.

If you hope to get all pre-reqs done in two years, you will have to take at least one math and two sciences per semester. I would toss in one or two "fluff" classes, or liberal arts, to balance things out. I would hit up the rest of your liberal arts over the summer b/c they usually require a lot of reading and writing that just really takes up time that you could use studying your science and math which are more important for pharmacy.

Anyone else think fall or spring is too much?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea if you can take some classes over the summer i would do that so that you can take an easier load over the year. Your schedule is do-able, some science majors take all sciences towards the end of their majors, its just going to take a lot more effort to take a semester full of sciences.

I'm not sure what the numbers mean after each class. It would help to have a description of the math/science classes listed (ie algebra, general chem, bio 1, etc) to fully assess if you are going to overload yourself or not.

I'm not sure what the numbers mean after each class. It would help to have a description of the math/science classes listed (ie algebra, general chem, bio 1, etc) to fully assess if you are going to overload yourself or not.

Fall 08
*Chem 1010 - Basic Freshman Chemistry that it required to take by everyone.

*Bio 1010 - Basic Freshman Biology that is required by everyone.

$Math 1065 - Pre Calculus/Trigonometry

$Biol 1610 - An introductory course designed for Biology majors including pre-medical, pre-dental, pre-veterinary, nursing and other health professions students. Emphasis on concepts pertaining to the scientific method cell processes including basic chemistry, cellular level structure and function, and principles of inheritance, evolution and ecology. In-class or out-of-class written assignments may be given. Successful completion of the course enables students to fulfill general education requirements for Life Science and prepares students for subsequent coursework in the Biological Sciences.

$Biol 1615 - A laboratory course to be taken concurrently with BIOL 1610. Lab fee required. 3 lab hours per week.

Spring 08

*Eng 2010 - Intm writing
@Math 1210 - Calculus 1
@Biol 2420 - Human Physiology
@Bio 2325 - Human Anatomy Lab
@Biol2320 - Human Anatomy

I don't think this schedule is much different than what I took in undergrad. You should do fine so long as you take care of studying first before you goof off.

Alright thanks man I appreciate it. That makes me feel better.

It will definitely be difficult...but I went to school with someone last semester who took:

Chemistry II
Chem II lab
Chem I lab
Physics II
Physics II lab
Calculus II
Differential Equations (which the prereq for is Calc II)

And he was applying to graduate school and doing a research project.

He almost didn't make it out alive, but somehow he pulled all As and 1 B - and he's still alive to tell the tale. It was quite a juggling act though and he was only a full time student - thankfully because that was more than enough for one person. And he is a really smart guy.