Recommendations for a MSK exam book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kissmyabjj

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am in the middle of my gap year between internship and PGY-2 and would like to find a few good books on MSK and neuro physical examination to work through before I get started in July. Do you guys have any recommendations? The last thread on this I could find was from 2008. So I figured they may be some new stuff out. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

I am in the middle of my gap year between internship and PGY-2 and would like to find a few good books on MSK and neuro physical examination to work through before I get started in July. Do you guys have any recommendations? The last thread on this I could find was from 2008. So I figured they may be some new stuff out. Thanks!

Absolutely love Miller's "3 minute musculoskeletal and peripheral nerve exam." It's about $40...but it is jam packed with useful information for outpatient PM&R. It goes over MSK exam special tests, manual muscle testing, peripheral nerve anatomy, myotomes/dermatomes, gait analysis, spinal cord injury, and EMG placement. It will probably be the one book I hold handy throughout residency. It's intent is NOT to teach you how to perform a detailed Neuro exam, however. You could probably find something more detailed for MSK, but probably not something as concise and organized.

Would like to hear residents opinion on the matter.

Last edited:
Magee
Hoppenfeld
Nadler

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
magee is too dense

get nadler/malanga's book

I like the videos and how sensitivity/specificities of each test are included for Nadler/Malanga. Any recommendations on a book that covers manual muscle testing techniques? Thanks.

The only book that I can find on the topic is written by a PT..."Daniels and Worthinghams muscle testing" by Helen Hislop

yup Daniels and Worthingham, used it during my PT training

Reactions: 1 user
manual muscle testing techniques? you mean for strength? detailed ASIA exam guide

http://www.asia-spinalinjury.org/elearning/Motor_Exam_Guide.pdf

Not quite. ASIA only covers strength testing for the C5-T1 and L2-S1 myotomes...I'm trying to find a book that demonstrates how to isolate individual muscles for strength testing and identification. For instance...how would to properly test strength of FCR, FPL, and Pronator quadratus when evaluating a suspected anterior interosseous nerve impingement. Would this be better found in an EMG book?

Not quite. ASIA only covers strength testing for the C5-T1 and L2-S1 myotomes...I'm trying to find a book that demonstrates how to isolate individual muscles for strength testing and identification. For instance...how would to properly test strength of FCR, FPL, and Pronator quadratus when evaluating a suspected anterior interosseous nerve impingement. Would this be better found in an EMG book?

Try: Perotto, Aldo, and Edward F. Delagi. Anatomical guide for the electromyographer: the limbs and trunk. Charles C Thomas Publisher, 2005.

Reactions: 1 user