Recommendations for readin material to learn more about contemporary osteopathic medicine/philosophy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrillyBassily

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanna learn as much as I can about contemporary Osteopathic medicine and the DO philosophy. Can anyone recommend a book or reading material on the issue?

Members don't see this ad.

The DOs: Osteopathic Medicine in America

+1 to this. Currently half way through the e-book. Its a great summary of how osteopathic medicine was started and goes into detail how it became what it is today.

It is a must read before interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
+1 to this. Currently half way through the e-book. Its a great summary of how osteopathic medicine was started and goes into detail how it became what it is today.

It is a must read before interviews.
I had really considered that book, but I was concerned that it would focus primarily on the history of osteopathy and not so much what it is today. I know that as a whole, osteopathic medicine has come a long way and it was once considered to be inferior medicine but is today deemed on par with allopathic medicine.

Is this something I'd need to worry about with this book or will it give me a good view of what osteopathic medicine is today?

I had really considered that book, but I was concerned that it would focus primarily on the history of osteopathy and not so much what it is today. I know that as a whole, osteopathic medicine has come a long way and it was once considered to be inferior medicine but is today deemed on par with allopathic medicine.

Is this something I'd need to worry about with this book or will it give me a good view of what osteopathic medicine is today?

Last edited:

I've heard some good things about this book-- I do wonder though if the current 2004 edition is representative of what osteopathic medicine is today given just how things have changed and the propagation of new D.O schools in recent years

I wanna learn as much as I can about contemporary Osteopathic medicine and the DO philosophy. Can anyone recommend a book or reading material on the issue?
"The DOs" is a great book, don't get me wrong, but unfortunately it did not answer my questions about the practice of osteopathy today or why to choose DO in general.

"The DOs" is a great book, don't get me wrong, but unfortunately it did not answer my questions about the practice of osteopathy today or why to choose DO in general.

That's what I was concerned about. Did you eventually get those questions answered from somewhere else? If so where?

Reactions: 1 user