Recommendations : Good Pathophysiology Book please.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rauljimenez

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, I'm looking for a good pathophysiology book that I can use to prepare for the USMLE and classes since most of the classes they teach us the pathology but nothing on the mechanism of action in the disease or the pathophysio behind it. I am using Goljan but is bullet to the point and I need something that further explains it, can you guys help me out... the only book Im reading so far is Robbins and some goljan.

Thanks for the help

Members don't see this ad.

i cant imagine needing more than those 2.... actually i stopped using robbins and will be sticking to just goljan and our lectures...

For the USMLE I honestly can't recommend more than RR Path. But if it's for class, you may find these 2 books useful:

Pathophysiology of Disease (Lange): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0071621679
Explains in-depth pathophysiology of major diseases.

Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1405105100
More succinct and has clinical correlations and tips. I liked the algorithms in this book.

For the USMLE I honestly can't recommend more than RR Path. But if it's for class, you may find these 2 books useful:

Pathophysiology of Disease (Lange): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/00...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=0071621679
Explains in-depth pathophysiology of major diseases.

Pathophysiology for the Boards and Wards: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/14...=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1405105100
More succinct and has clinical correlations and tips. I liked the algorithms in this book.

Thanks a lot, is just that in class and for concept I need someting more than goljan just telling me is this and I go like OK BUT WHY!? so i need something in between!! thanks a lot really

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually really like "Clinical Pathophysiology Made Ridculously Simple". It should definitely DEFINITELY not be your only source, but for a good quick breakdown of the basics, I think it's pretty good. To me, it makes things make sense.

I have the Lange Pathophysiology book (newest edition), and I can tell you that it is a great book to integrate the basic sciences. I felt that Robbins was great for direct recall pathology rather then describing the mechanisms of disease. I think that Goljan was simply a laundry list of high yield points, amazing for USMLE, but does not teach the foundations which you need.

Of note, one of my friends had written the USMLE Step 1 in the beginning of November; She had told me that >70% of her questions were pathophysiology. She had said that there was very little direct pathology. If you are in M2 then read and re read a good pathophysiology text.

If your school gives you an online access to Harrison's, that would be another good REFERENCE source to use. Note that I'm saying reference meaning use it to read up more on something you don't quite understand. I have found that they have very good explanation for diseases mechanisms.

You should buy Robbins Question book too since the explanations for the answers are very detailed and will help solidify pathophysiology.

I also felt that Pathophys ridiculously simple was a great refresher of physio, but it definitely does not do any heavy lifting. Good starting point if you can get it cheap, and it's a quick read.

I have the Lange Pathophysiology book (newest edition), and I can tell you that it is a great book to integrate the basic sciences. I felt that Robbins was great for direct recall pathology rather then describing the mechanisms of disease. I think that Goljan was simply a laundry list of high yield points, amazing for USMLE, but does not teach the foundations which you need.

Of note, one of my friends had written the USMLE Step 1 in the beginning of November; She had told me that >70% of her questions were pathophysiology. She had said that there was very little direct pathology. If you are in M2 then read and re read a good pathophysiology text.

is this book like harrisions but less verbose and to the point needed at M3/M4 level?

My weakest scores on my score report breakdown has always been "mechanisms of disease'; I still do not understand what this encompasses. I was able to bring up my 'diagnostic' skills; but the mechanisms of disease did not go up with it. I thought maybe it would have. If mechanisms of disease is not diagnostic skills, what is it exactly?

is this book like harrisions but less verbose and to the point needed at M3/M4 level?

Yes, I have an older copy of Harrisons that I had skimmed throughand it seems to really get into the mechanisms of the major diseases. The Lange book is similar, although a little less detailed. I would say it is probably the best book for the student wanting to solidify pathophysiology before step 1. I thought that boards and wards book does not give adequate explanations of pathophys. After that, I would go with Harrisons.