Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htruong0

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello DOs and future DOs,
i'm new to this forum, found a lot of interesting debates about DO.
currently a graduating pharmd student, seeking for MD admission, however, DO seems equivalent. would any current student cares to give me some perspectives or recommendation whether or not DO is congruent with my medicinal interests. would my background be any different than conventional students? constructive comments are greatly appreciated. :idea:

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure exactly what you are asking. But if you are wondering if DO schools like students that have had previous education in a different field or if they like people that have had careers, then the answer is yes. There are alot of people that go to DO schools that have done something else in there lives. I personally think DO schools are more receptive to the non-trad students than a lot of MD schools are.

If you are a graduating pharm student, why are you now deciding to want to attend med school? Do you not think you will be happy with your current choice of careers?

that's a very good question Amy. Pharmacy is a great field where one can find vast opportunities and rewarding salary. pharmacists however work in a very discrete setting for example retail pharmacist, home-infusion, hospital setting, etc. I am more interest in direct patient involvement. i thank you for your inputs

htruong0 said:
Hello DOs and future DOs,
i'm new to this forum, found a lot of interesting debates about DO.
currently a graduating pharmd student, seeking for MD admission, however, DO seems equivalent. would any current student cares to give me some perspectives or recommendation whether or not DO is congruent with my medicinal interests. would my background be any different than conventional students? constructive comments are greatly appreciated. :idea:

Many DO students have a nontraditional background, like you. DO schools tend to look at the whole applicant, so they typically are warmer towards an older, nontraditional applicant. On the same note, there are MD programs that feel this way as well. MDs and DOs are basically equivalent, but the philosophy behind them is a little different. Do you know what kind of medicine you want to practice and where you would like to practice? That could assist you in your decision. The best way to learn about the profession is to shadow a DO. Good luck!