recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nehe87

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, I was just wondering, for recommendation letters, does it have to be your professor for biology/chemistry, or something like that, that's kind of "pharmacy-related" or can it just be any of your professors? Because one of the professors that's on my list is my physics professor, and I was wondering if that would be less valid of a recommendation than of something like biology. Kind of a dumb question, I know, but I'd appreciate any light you can shed on it. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Pick people that know you well and you are sure will write a good letter.

But I would have those people be a chem/bio professor. I personally went with 1 of each, but of course a practicing pharmacist trumps all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, guys, I was just wondering, for recommendation letters, does it have to be your professor for biology/chemistry, or something like that, that's kind of "pharmacy-related" or can it just be any of your professors? Because one of the professors that's on my list is my physics professor, and I was wondering if that would be less valid of a recommendation than of something like biology. Kind of a dumb question, I know, but I'd appreciate any light you can shed on it. Thanks!

If you have a good relationship with that physics professor and he knows you quite well and will probably have some nice things to say about you, I don't think it would be any less valid than if you got it from a chem or bio teacher with whom you are not on the same level, and who therefore may not write that great of a letter for you. It just depends on your relationship. I mean, it's still physics, it's still a science course, it's not like it's your english teacher or something (though an english teacher would probably write a very good letter). It's just my opinion that the stronger the relationship between yourself and the instructor, the more that will show in the letter and that will cause it to be a more informative letter (and that could turn out to be an all around better one for you depending on how well the instructor writes).

IMO, the purpose of the letter is two-fold. First, they want to hear from someone who is an objective (keep in mind you can't read these letters) third party who can let them know you are a good student (whether in school, at a pharmacy, or in another learning capacity.) While anyone within the limitations placed by the school (generally not family/friends) can write the letter, what subjects do you want the school you know that you do well in? If you do well in glassblowing, what does that tell the pharmacy school about your ability to learn chemical interactions, homeostatic adjustments, etc? Second, they want to know how you get along with other professionals. What relationship do you have with your professors, pharmacist, managers at work (where allowed)? This is why it's important to have the letter written by someone who knows you well. They have to know that you are willing to approach faculty to ask questions when it's important, that if you don't understand a concept you aren't too timid and would rather be ignorant than informed. I'd have them written generally by math/science professors since these are the closest to the subjects pharm schools need you to be good at.
If you want to have one written by a speech/English professor to show your communication skills (ESL/international student) I'd say do that. Otherwise, I'd stick to sciences. As mentioned above, pharmacist trumps all.