1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations :)

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Jitaka, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Jitaka

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    Okay, I am currently in the process of getting recommendation letters from my profs/pharmacist and I have a couple of questions:

1) How many recommendations are we allowed to have on the PharmCAS program (I have four people that I would like to recommend me)

2) Some Schools require that the recommendations be uploaded to PharmCAS and that an additional copy be sent to the college. So, am I allowed to obtain the recommendation from the prof/pharmacist and send it myself or do I have to put that person through the hassle of sending it themselves???

-Jitaka

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. TheKoz

2+ Year Member

Best thing to do is have the people do it on pharmcas first, and ask them to save a copy of what they wrote. Later on all they have to do is edit the copy a little bit, and send it out to the school that needed. Make sure you do some research of what school require PharmCAS and what school require personal.

4. ilovepharm

ilovepharm :sulindac is super cool:
    5+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    PharmCAS allows a maximum of three LORs but some schools allow you to send additional LORs to their school directly, like UOP. Most schools aren't too picky about the number. I think UCSF wants three and only three LORs though, so you need to check on individual school websites or the pharmcas's indivdiual school pages.

5. Dr.Biassi

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    I have a question for you: Are you apllying for 2007 entrance or 2008 entrance. I f you are applying to the 2007 entrance don't you think it is pretty late? Well if you are applying to the 2008 entrance I think is too early for that. The 2008 application will be on in june.

6. Jitaka

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    To answer your question, I am applying for matriculation in 2008 and no, I do not think its too early. People like to take their time when writing recommendations, so I want to give as much as a heads up as possible :)

Also, when the application opens in June, I want to be done with it as soon as possible, nothing wrong with applying as early as possible.

7. RX student

RX student NSU-WPB campus
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    But how are you going to have them sent to pharmCAS without the session being open?? It's easier for them to do it online, but if not... they have specific instructions and format that they have to follow.

8. LECOMorBUST

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Good points here. You may have to wait until the official 2008 PharmCAS date and go with the e-LORs, easier for everyone involved.

9. Dr.Biassi

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    Rx Student said it all. If the application for 2008 is not open, you can't do anything!!!

10. Farmercyst

Farmercyst From the shadows
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Western U requires 3 references in addition to PharmCAS. I had to send three with the supplemental that were different than the PharmCAS ones. Luckily I know 6 people well enough to do that.:cool:

I'd say before PharmCAS opens for next year you're probably better off focusing on getting your PS and academic paperwork together. LORs are good to have lined up, but I don't think letting the profs know 3 months in advance would be worth it. I'd give a good two weeks notice unless it falls during finals/grade posting.

11. Jitaka

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    hmm, good points, then I guess I'll stop bothering my profs for recommendations, lol

12. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    are LOR's from pharmacists you worked under required?

13. crystalpink

crystalpink Bunny lover
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    umm, you can ask the same 3 professors, who write LORs for PharmCAS, to write another LOR for Western supplemental application. That's what my friend and I did.

14. Farmercyst

Pharmacist
    Yeah, but I thought it was rather pointless for them to ask for the same three over again, so I had 3 new people do it. Besides it gave me 6 LORs and I was hoping that would offset that I didn't have pharm experience.

In terms of Pharmacist LOR requirement. A lot of schools do, not all. It doesn't have to be one you worked under, but if it is required it does have to be a pharmacist.

15. Jitaka

5+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I don't think all schools require it; however, I would like to have one :)

16. nerv12345

nerv12345 ...
    Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    ^yeah i definitely want one...but it's so hard to find a pharmacy to volunteer at for a couple of hours that will fit my schedule!

another question about LOR's, sorry i don't mean to jack your thread jitaka

but my question is...i want to get 2 letters of recommendations from the junior college i attended (i took cell/molecular biology and organic chemistry there and both teachers love me) and my classes all transfered to the university and are part of my university transcript+gpa totals, etc. would i need to send it my transcript for the junior college as well as the university when applying since the LOR's are not coming from the university itself?

17. Farmercyst

Pharmacist
    Yes, I haven't found an exception in terms of schools wanting original transcripts for the coursework completed. (Meaning if the class was taken at one school, they need the transcript from that school even if it appears on a transcript somewhere else.)

Before someone asks, LORs from CC professors will be just as good as LORs from 4-yrs. They just need to get an idea about you from someone who's had to try teaching you.

18. jrx

jrx

Pre-Pharmacy
    hi friends,
    i want to apply for 2008 and i have some questions..some school such as western have their specific evaluation form as LOR so does pharmcas has this type of form?or should i just submit LOR written by my professor? and do they have to submitt directly to pharmcas? or i can submit sealed LOR by my self
    and my other question is do we submit LOR from all school we attended?because i attended two different schools.
    and one more question do i need LOR from pharmacist?

19. Dr.Biassi

2+ Year Member

Post Doc
    When you fill out the pharmca, they will ask you if you want them to send a link to the people who will recommend you. then you will provide emails of the people. And they will follow the link to directly submit your recomendations to pharmcas.

20. Jessly56

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    but you have to make sure the people you have fill out the LOR press the "submit" button. one of mine filled it out but didnt press submit. because of that, my app was delayed a month. gr!

21. jrx

jrx

Pre-Pharmacy
    thank you for answer
    i want to know that eLOR means evaluation form of pharmCAS and letter of reference both are different? so should i have to request the instructor to submit both evaluation form as well as refrence letter to pharmCAS?

22. Farmercyst

Pharmacist
    The LOR form for PharmCAS is different than one you'd receive from another school as part of their supplemental application. Westerns form has certain characteristics they want the instructor to evaluate you on. Loma Linda's requests info on Christian Characteristics. You don't need one from each school you've attended. (I'm up to 4 already) I did have one from 3 different schools all three PharmCAS LORs were from my upper-division science professors. The Western LORs: 1 was from my Pharm Calcs instructor, 1 from my Pharmacology instructor, and one from my Bio instructor at a different CC.
    Western's instructions for their LOR is to have the back of the envelope sealed with the Recommender's signature across the back. As long as it meets that criteria you can submit them yourself. I did and didn't have any problems.
    You only have to have one from a pharmacist if the school says so. I don't know a pharmacist which is why I didn't apply to UOP or UCSF. They do REQUIRE a pharmacist LOR.