Recommended First Year Books

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

despair

semi-charmed
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what books would you recommend for first year students like me? For anatomy, physiolo0gy, biochemistry, neurology, etc.?
Really need help in deciding which books to get.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'd recommend you put up your schools "recommended" tests and we could give our opinions on them. Sometimes it's worth it to go with the books the prof recommended as it'll help you clue in on what they like to test.

these are our school's recommended books:

1) moore's clinically oriented anatomy
2) grant's atlas of anatomy
3) bloom and fawcett's concise histology
4) lippincott's illustrated reviews:biochemistry
5) Benarroch's medical neurosciences: an approach to anatomy, pathology and physiology by systems and levels
6) Berne and Levy's physiology
7) DeMyer's Technique of neurological examination.
8) Bate's Guide to Physical Examination and History taking
9) Moore and Persaud's the Developing Human: Clinically Oriented Embryology

I hope someone can shed a light as to if these books are good or not, or if something is better out there, before I buy. Thank you.

neuro wasn't a first year class here (thank God, it sucks, but is interesting).

1. Grey's anatomy (after all, good enough to have a TV show)
2. Netter's anatomy atlas (a must)
3. Rohen anatomy atlas (I see dead people)
4. Physiology, Constanzo, hands down. However, if your prof wrote a book, read it, cause Constanzo wasn't as hot on appetite suppressing hormones as our prof was.
5. Biochem, you tell me, I haven't found a good one yet. Heard Goljan is good. This class SUCKS!
6. Embryology- NY times guide to making up words and concepts. Better luck than I had
7. Histology, whatever they tell you to buy, cause hopefully that is where they will pull the slides from.
8. Neuro, if you have to take this class first year, Blumenfeld.
9. Path, if you take this one, there is nothing other than Robbins, the great debate is over baby, adolescent, or big Robbins. Won't explain know, you'll come to understand. I read big Robbins.