Recommended podcasts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JMMTB

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for some entertaining and educational podcasts. What do y'all recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

I enjoy Ted Radio hour for something educational. NPR podcasts in general are great, they even started a new one called "Hidden Brain" recently. I also enjoy Science VS. A lot.

If you want something entertaining, like in funny, that is much harder to come by. A lot of times it depends on the subjects. I've been learning a lot about sex education and other various related topics from Sex Nerd Sandra (not really medically related, but it depends on what the topic is).

It can be difficult to find podcasts you're interested in despite great content if you dislike the delivery, like in the way they speak or or babble. It's just a matter of experiencing what you like best.

Reactions: 1 user
If you want something entertaining I highly recommend Welcome To Night Vale. It takes a couple of episodes to get used to how weird it is, but it is highly worth it. The podcast is a community radio host describing life in his weird town. Its funny, touching, thought provoking, and just plain interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radiolab and This American Life should be staples.

Gimlet Media does a few good shows, especially its meta-podcast Startup which is about the host launching his startup company.

Reactions: 1 users
My favorite podcast this year is called "Extra Time: The Two Mikes" and is the overnight program on talkSPORT national radio in the UK. If you like football (soccer) there is a little bit of that flair to the show since it is on a big sports station, but most of their airtime isn't spent talking about sports. Mostly the two mikes, Mike Graham and Mike 'Porky' Parry, bring their verbal jousting and comedic bickering to recent news developments, touching on their shenanigans as journalists in "Fleet Street" in the UK in the 1980s. They met 30 years ago working in New York City as correspondents for British tabloid newspapers, and they have so many funny stories from chasing celebrities and covering wars and news stories during that era.

Overall the show is hilariously entertaining but also educational because they touch a lot of technological, economic, and sometimes ethical (usually animal rights) developments. Mixing that in with their own tales of rat-like cunning as journalists in the 80s gives an entertaining show I am eager to listen to each morning when it comes out. It is available through four, two-hour podcasts (Tues-Friday) each week here in the US.

Last edited:
Planet Money, great if you know little to nothing about econ and want to learn more to be an informed citizen

Science360.gov

They play podcasts from various shows about medicine, virology, microbiology, engineering, etc. They also have an iphone/android app, in addition to listening on the website.

And they are entertaining as well. Neil Degrasse Tyson is a regular on the "Star Talk" podcast

Any Talk Nerdy fans?

More importantly, tis the season for Fantasy Focus. It's a part time job keeping up with the daily pods during the season. Fantasy freaks unite!

Thanks for the replies everyone! I'll have to look into the suggestions.

Any Talk Nerdy fans?

More importantly, tis the season for Fantasy Focus. It's a part time job keeping up with the daily pods during the season. Fantasy freaks unite!
I just came on here to rep the fantasy focus podcast.I'm surprised someone beat me to it. Listen every day, won my league last year. Also I lol every episode at least once

I just came on here to rep the fantasy focus podcast.I'm surprised someone beat me to it. Listen every day, won my league last year. Also I lol every episode at least once

I won one last year too. I also came in last place in the most important league and subsequently lost the rights to my team name this year.

I can't post the new team name here, but it does reference a certain former Subway spokesman.

Thank you, Trent Richardson.

If you like the news and you like game shows NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me is great. Ask Me Another is another NPR game show that I love, but that one is more word puzzle/trivia based. I also really enjoy Stuff You Should Know, which isn't the most technical in depth podcast, but I personally find it really fun and entertaining, and I always learn a little bit each episode.

My favorites (in no particular order) are Lore, StarTalk, Mortified, Grownups Read Things They Wrote as Kids, Upvoted, (Intelligence)^2, True Story, Meanwhile in the Future, The Citizen's Guide to the Supreme Court, Us & Them, and Evolution Talk.

I know that's a varied list, but I rarely have time for any other form of entertainment. I get the opportunity to listen to podcasts while driving, cooking dinner, showering, and working in my research lab, so I have to have a pretty eclectic and extensive list. Not all of those will appeal to everyone, but that's a pretty good combination of funny, entertaining, and informative.

Oh! And Serial. Everyone should listen to Serial.