record keeping when calling admissions office?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

deathcap

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those of you who have called the admissions office before, do they typically ask for your name when it's completely irrelevant (not checking the status of your app)? just wondering if they keep a record of who called.

thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

hmmm, that's odd... I called into a school a few days ago to ask a logistics question. I was courteous the whole time and thanked him for the response. It was a very short call. But he asked me for my name before I hung up. :confused:

I have no idea what to make of this... should I be concerned?

Members don't see this ad :)
Keeping a record of every single person who calls seems like a huge waste of time to me.

Maybe they're trying to be personable?... You can always make something up.

Some people even make up names when they sign up for various stuff to detect junk mail. For example, I signed up for free magazine subscriptions which I donate to the hospital's volunteer office. The zines have my real last name (on mailbox) and fake first name with the same initials. This way they get delivered and I can toss out any associated junk mail quickly. My neighbor put his dog's name on Sierra Clubs membership form, but donated nonetheless... He just wanted to find out who sells his name.

"The bliss of the unparanoid." -quote from a tv show that aired last week

Last edited:
hmmm, that's odd... I called into a school a few days ago to ask a logistics question. I was courteous the whole time and thanked him for the response. It was a very short call. But he asked me for my name before I hung up. :confused:

I have no idea what to make of this... should I be concerned?

No

Maybe they're trying to be personable?... You can always make something up. Some people even make up names when they sign up for various stuff to detect junk mail.

For example, I signed up for free magazine subscriptions which I donate to the hospital's volunteer office. The zines have my real last name (on mailbox) and fake first name with the same initials. I knew they would sell my name to junk mailers. This way I can toss out useless stuff quickly.

"The bliss of the unparanoid." -quote from a tv show

unfortunately, I wasn't thinking that much and just ended up giving my real name... spelled it out too. :oops:

haha, I hope I'm just being neurotic here. It's my first choice school, so I'm just really paranoid and over-analyzing every little thing. /spent the past few days trying to figure out why they'd ask...

haha, I hope I'm just being neurotic here. It's my first choice school, so I'm just really paranoid and over-analyzing every little thing. /spent the past few days trying to figure out why they'd ask...

some schools actually like phone calls as a method of expressing interest- as long as you're not obnoxious or calling excessively- UVM comes to mind, I'm sure there are others

I just have to ask, what's considered obnoxious? How do you cross the threshold from enthusiastic to annoying? I call one school where I've been wait listed once every two weeks to check my status, and I worry it may too much. Tips?

I just have to ask, what's considered obnoxious? How do you cross the threshold from enthusiastic to annoying? I call one school where I've been wait listed once every two weeks to check my status, and I worry it may too much. Tips?

That's more than I would do, personally, but people have different threshholds I suppose.

some schools actually like phone calls as a method of expressing interest- as long as you're not obnoxious or calling excessively- UVM comes to mind, I'm sure there are others

haha, that doesn't really apply to me. I've already been accepted for a few months by the time I made that call. I'm just paranoid that they might rescind my acceptance if I accidentally offended someone :(