Recording Community Service Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agito13

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all, I just have one question. My mother helped refer me to this soup kitchen of a salvation army near my college, which has provided me a great volunteering opportunity that consists of serving food to impoverished people. However, this place has no formal system of recording hours. They suggested that I record the hours myself, and that they will sign each time to verify the # of hours I volunteer each week. Would this be sufficient enough for me to send in when I apply to medical schools next year, or would I need to go to a place that has a "formal" system of recording and validating hours? Thanks for any help!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all, I just have one question. My mother helped refer me to this soup kitchen of a salvation army near my college, which has provided me a great volunteering opportunity that consists of serving food to impoverished people. However, this place has no formal system of recording hours. They suggested that I record the hours myself, and that they will sign each time to verify the # of hours I volunteer each week. Would this be sufficient enough for me to send in when I apply to medical schools next year, or would I need to go to a place that has a "formal" system of recording and validating hours? Thanks for any help!
You never send in any sort of verification for any hours during the medical school application process.

You will need to know:
1. The average number of hours per week
2. The starting and ending month (or mark "to present")
3. The first and last name and either phone # or email address for someone who can verify #1 and #2

It is helpful to know your total number of hours

That's it.

The above response is correct...I think the most important thing is to keep good records yourself (I have an ongoing word document with my hours, etc.) and get to know some of the people in charge of the volunteering program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh okay I understand, thank you. But may I ask, who exactly do I give any documents regarding my extra-curriculars to, the interviewer? Or do I just carry it with me to interviews if I'm invited to any? My apologies for the dim-wittiness.

Oh okay I understand, thank you. But may I ask, who exactly do I give any documents regarding my extra-curriculars to, the interviewer? Or do I just carry it with me to interviews if I'm invited to any? My apologies for the dim-wittiness.
You don't take any documents. Some people have taken a printed copy of a peer-reviewed papers if they have some, but that's probably about it. And that isn't even required nor necessarily recommended. Where did you get the idea that you need to have documentation?

You put them on your primary application as I mentioned above. That's it.

Oh okay I completely understand, thank you very much and good luck w/ the rest of your application process!