Recording Refractive Outcomes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thankfuldoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard stories of residents and some attendings keeping detailed logs of their refractive outcomes on all their phacos. Information such as Pre-op MRx, Ks, Intra-op CDE, Op time, Post-op Mrx, etc.

Anyway, as I'm starting to rack up more cases I'm wondering if this is something I should be routinely doing. Of course I'm seeing all my post ops and I have a relative idea of these numbers already, but I'm wondering if I'm missing out on something. I know it can help you determine your surgeon factor when making IOL calcs etc. but I'm not even sure how to go about that.

Anyway, wondering if anyone does this and can shed some light on it.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't obsess about it as a resident or fellow. However, once you get your "surgery routine" down in the real-world, then I would start working on optimizing your IOL constants. Basically, what you need to do is to maintain an Excel spreadsheet that you can get from Dr. Warren Hill's website:

http://www.doctor-hill.com/physicians/download.htm

Follow the instructions and then send back the Excel file to Dr. Hill. he will personally calculate your SF, Haigis constants, A-constants, etc for you. This requires around 300 cases for any one lens model. Dr. Hill is really an amazing guy and very very generous with his time.