Recruiting MD/PhDs to Residency Programs

Started by Gfunk6
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Gfunk6

And to think . . . I hesitated
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just wondering if you guys received forwarded emails from residency directors trying to recruit MD/PhDs to their programs. We have received a few from Path and Peds and it's pretty nice to feel wanted though I am not interested in either of those fields. Just curious to hear others experiences.
 
Logos' said:
I received personal letters from several chairs who were "looking forward to my application" but that was probably because I met them at a meeting in the context of receiving a research award.

I can't speak for other fields but in path it was pretty clear that being a successful MD/PhD candidate placed you on a different level in terms of competitiveness.

In fact the recruitment can get down right aggressive at times, a nice problem to have, but something to be ready for (like I said in a previous post I was basically offered a mini start up package with salary for a research tech by one chair).

So at what point in the application process do most people get these letters? Is it based on word-of-mouth for who are this year's graduating MD/PhD's? Do they base it on cut-offs for Board scores? Just wondering how they even find out about us? 😳
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you have impressive stats, it helps. If you have connections, even better.
 
mdphd2b said:
So at what point in the application process do most people get these letters? Is it based on word-of-mouth for who are this year's graduating MD/PhD's? Do they base it on cut-offs for Board scores? Just wondering how they even find out about us? 😳

So you are at Pitt. I'm looking to do psych at pitt, although I havet heard from them for an interview. What ccan you tell me about Psychiatry there??