Rectal tumor in 12yo German Shep. Female - Diff Dx?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GeneGoddess

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My mother just called me to let me know that the family dog Sadie has a rectal tumor. Sadie is a German Sheperd (pure-bred) and is 12 years old. Her presenting symptoms were similar to impacted anal glands (which she gets whenever she goes to a kennel maybe twice a year for 2wks max). She has some mild arthritis, but is otherwise active. My parents went on a vacation for about 10days and left her at a kennel (great place, highly recommended; owners love Sadie). When they returned (the 11th), she had blocked anal glands (like always) and Mom took her to the vet to have them expressed (Tuesday the 13th). Sadie seemed ok, but over the weekend, exhibited more symptoms consistent with gland blockage. Mom took her to the vet again today, expecting that she needed her glands expressed again, and the vet appreciated a tumor. Mom assures me that it was indeed a rectal tumor a few inches in (as opposed to uterine). She plans to talk to the vet again tomorrow and make an appointment for a colonoscopy (at Texas A&M - my alma mater!). She called me, since I'm the "medical" person. (4th year med) Sadie is more my sister's dog than mine, and my mom doesn't want to call her (sis lives 1500mi away, coming to visit in 2-3wks) until she knows more.

SO, what is the differantial diagnosis for a 12yr old German Shep female with a rectal tumor BESIDES colon cancer? And what are the treatment options? None of us want her to have ANY pain, and we watched the neighbor's dog go through years of chemo (unpleasant). Any suggestions/advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Well, my advice would be to discuss your options with the vet first. Sometimes chemotherapy can help and other times it doesn't. Your vet will be able to give you all your options. If you choose not to do chemotherapy, I would suggest having her live out her days in pampered comfort. Assess her quality of life everyday. If she stops playing, and eating, things she probably loves, then you'll know it's time to put her down. It's not good for her to suffer, but there are medications to keep her comfortable. Has the vet even said if it is cancer for sure? You never know, it could be benign. If it is, then you can have it removed and she should be fine. These decisions are very hard to make, but always know that whatever decision you make is the right one and don't ever let anyone tell you it's the wrong one.

Anal adenoma. Prognosis guarded. treatment none unless you can transplant a colon.

Members don't see this ad :)
The vet is on the dog's side (our side) when it comes to treatment. German Shep's don't live THAT long (compared to smaller dogs). Plus, watching our neighbors all but torture their golden with chemo to eek out a few more months was just sickening.

Thanks, Heliems. Colon cancer, anal adenoma, anything else?

Perianal Adenocarcinoma. Well some say you can dock tail, neuter, and do aggressive chemo therapy. But this type of cancer seems to be painful. Sorry about the bad news.

Sweet doggie is staying the night at Texas A&M Vet School before getting a colonoscopy tomorrow morning. If they see no other tumors, they're going to remove the one in the rectum. If they see anything else, they are going to just do nothing. But the good news is that, otherwise, she VERY healthy and has no other problems according to the vets. They also thought she was a complete sweetheart, considering she had THREE rectals. Poor thing... Send good thoughts her way...

UPDATE: The colonoscopy was clean. They found two "patches" that looked like irritations from the diarrhea, but no other tumors. They removed the one tumor and will biopsy it as well as the two "patch" areas. She survived the general anesthetic well and will be home tomorrow morning. So, it looks like some good news (biopsy results on Monday).

GeneGoddess said:
UPDATE: The colonoscopy was clean. They found two "patches" that looked like irritations from the diarrhea, but no other tumors. They removed the one tumor and will biopsy it as well as the two "patch" areas. She survived the general anesthetic well and will be home tomorrow morning. So, it looks like some good news (biopsy results on Monday).
:clap: :clap: :clap: So far!! {{{sending good thoughts to Sadie}}}

Hang in there sweet pup pup!!! :D :D

Nice to hear good news for a change.

UPDATE: The tumor and both patches of irritation were benign! The vet student called my mother and was VERY excited on the phone to tell her. She said that she didn't expect it to be benign, but it was. My mom said that the student was so cute and enthusiastic. So, it was good news. Thanks for the advice!

I'm so very glad to hear that the tumor was benign. That's a big relief.

GeneGoddess said:
UPDATE: The tumor and both patches of irritation were benign! The vet student called my mother and was VERY excited on the phone to tell her. She said that she didn't expect it to be benign, but it was. My mom said that the student was so cute and enthusiastic. So, it was good news. Thanks for the advice!

Bright eyed bushy tailed veterinary students make the world go round. ROARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Good news!

:clap: Great news!!! Good luck!!! :D