recurrent juvenile pilocytic Astrocytoma

Started by Kroll2013
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Kroll2013

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear Colleagues ,

I need your opinion concerning this young patient.

it is a 10 years old female.
she was diagnosed in 2014, at 6 yo of age, of a grade I JPA of the posterior fossa. clinically she developed headaches, left ear hearing loss and gait disturbance.
MRI showed a large PF tumor extending to the 4th ventricle through the left CPA causing a mass effect
posterior craniotomy was done.
pathology: 3*2.5cm grade I JPA, Ki67<2%

she was observed closely till august 2018
when she presented with increased headache.
MRI septembre 2018: small recurrence at the level of the left peduncle1.6*1.5*1.5 cm
posterior craniotomy: near complete resection, JPA grade I

MRI december 2018: enhancing intra-axial left brachium pontis mass of 1.5*1.6 cm that increased in size compared to sept post-op imaging. she has a definitive loss of hearing in the left ear. no other sequela.

what do you suggest as adjuvant treatment :
- adjusted chemotherapy (taking into consideration the risk of hearing toxicity
- adjuvant radiation to the tumor bed 50-54 Gy

ty a lot
 
I would send to an academic center or better yet, call up Tom Merchant. St judes will fly out pt and family and arrange/fund everything. You definitely want a highly specialized neurosurgeon to look at this for further resection.
 
Last edited:
Disclaimer, I do not know the peds data for this very well. But had a similar case in a non-peds patient. We SRS'd (18Gy/1fx) the recurrent focus of disease and has worked well thus far, with 2y f/u.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Had to google brachium pontis. In the cerebellum, near the brainstem for anybody else who isn't a master of latin based cranial anatomy.

Agree with treatment at pediatric center of excellence.

Assuming travel is impossible (and I'm certianly no pediatric expert) - this is a locally recurrent disease and she's already lost left sided hearing. After re-resection I think you could take it to 50.4 fractionated with IMRT and minimize dose to the contralateral cochlea (mean < 25-30 is what I'd shoot for). May also be a case worth evaluating for protons for better contralateral cochlea sparing.

Despite the fact most JPAs dont need RT, I think this girl being on her 2nd recurrence now (with less than 3 months in-between) demonstrates this is not acting like a JPA anymore.
 
Just as an aside,this sounds like posterior tracts- dorsal column medial lemniscus, these are fibers that carry proprioception along posterior brainstem. If you really had to, you could have more tolerance for radiation injury ie 18-20Gy as a) it its tract and b) proprioception is not critical brain like the rest of the brainstem. What would be the consequences of a lesion- not knowing where your arm is if you close your eyes or unable to feel vibration.? For grade 1/2 tumors, you really want to get everything out surgically if you can. In any case, I would go over it with a neuroradiologist

edit- this is the middle cerebellar peduncle
 
Last edited: