Recycling Essays

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, we have to type a personal statement on PharmCAS. My question is, when you go through the supplementary application, and it says that you have to write a personal statement, do you just use the same essay as the PharmCAS essay, or do you have to write yet another one?

Members don't see this ad.

Most PharmCAS schools use the master personal statement as their personal statement. They then ask other, more detailed questions that require you to write something new. I wrote four essays plus the PharmCAS personal statement when I was applying. The essays all had radically different approaches to why I thought I was a good candidate for their program. (I wondered at the time if it was a conspiracy since I would have otherwise just sent the same tweaked essay in.)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, we have to type a personal statement on PharmCAS. My question is, when you go through the supplementary application, and it says that you have to write a personal statement, do you just use the same essay as the PharmCAS essay, or do you have to write yet another one?

You would want to write another one. Sometimes the essays/statements for the supplemental applications pose direct questions that your personal statement can not quite encompass. Plus, the schools would probably throw your application in the trash if they see the exact same essay when reviewing your files. Don't cut corners with essays. They are one of the most important parts of the application process.

I thought recycling was a good thing, eh?

When I was in this prehealth program this med school adcom said that everything gets a score and then gets put into their formula so the way I look at it is that it would be like copying the essays. Apparently people generally don't get that high of a score if the graders find out you copied.