red flag?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Help me out here fellow Pre-dents. What constitutes as a red flag on an application?

Members don't see this ad.

something that would make the interviewers raise their eyebrows when reading about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Well ... 1st degree homicide charges are usually pretty bad.

Reactions: 2 users
Making a post asking this question is a red flag.

Reactions: 5 users
I think anything sexual assault related is automatically a red flag for most........crimes in general. Ask yourself: would you want you as your dentist if you did your particular crime/red flag?

Vehicular manslaughter ...

Reactions: 1 user
Ok I'm talking about more in terms of Academics. Number of C's, Gap year between Undergrad and masters etc etc. Not the above that are at the extreme end of 'Red Flags'

I believe if one has a 1st degree homicide charge, geting denied Dental school admissions is the least of his/her worries

Do you mean red flags on an otherwise good application? Or are you asking what constitutes a sh*tty application?

Red flags on a good application. I'm just asking since I'm not entierly sure what people classify as Red flags

Downward trend in GPA (4.0 freshman year to 2.0 senior year)
3+ W's without a good reason
A few years off doing nothing (i.e. no work, school, shadowing, volunteer)

Describing a mission trip you took where 10 dentists watched in amazement as you did full mouth extractions.

Describing a mission trip you took where 10 dentists watched in amazement as you did full mouth extractions.
How prevalent is this? Does this include missions trips that are through school clubs?

How prevalent is this? Does this include missions trips that are through school clubs?

Seeing as it is that no single pre-dent student in the world can ever do a 'Full mouth extraction', I would say NOT prevalent at all

Seeing as it is that no single pre-dent student in the world can ever do a 'Full mouth extraction', I would say NOT prevalent at all
Lol im stupid, of course no one does full mouth.

Although, I've heard some pre-dents have done "work" on patients when they were not licensed to practice. Just wondering how prevalent that is, if it is in fact, true.

Although, I've heard some pre-dents have done "work" on patients when they were not licensed to practice. Just wondering how prevalent that is, if it is in fact, true.

Students at my school do this, and have been doing this through a yearly trip. They've begged me to come, but I find it unethical.

Working as a dental assistant by suctioning or maybe doing the fluoride cleanings yourself isn't a big deal. When I shadowed I assisted the dentist during suctioning.