Red flags when looking at practices for first job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pxyby

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Starting to look for jobs after fellowship. I am open to going to most parts of the country so am applying pretty broadly. So far I'm arranged for a couple trips that are all inclusive (flight, hotel, rental car). I have also talked to a couple places that seem promising on paper, but they do not fly applicants out and say basically "we would love to have you visit if you're in the area". Both of these are east coast so maybe this is more common out there? I don't like either of these places enough to pay for my own trip out there, but I wonder if this is a red flag and might be indicative of other parts of the practice?

And speaking of which, this will be my first "Real job" so I'm wondering if there's other things I should watch out for that would be red flags when visiting practices. I know about contract stuff to watch out for like malpractice and noncompete clauses, but how should I be evaluating these practices? Do large physician-run independent practices give you that much more independence and flexibility compared to a hospital employed job?

EDIT: Damnit, meant to post this in the main IM board. Mods, feel free to delete this post

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.