Red Tape

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Premed315U

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which specialties involve the most red tape? I'm thinking ER type work, but I don't know much about this.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure what you mean by red tape. As far as malpractice insurance, obstetricians and surgeons tend to have the highest rates. I have seen people quote insurance costs as high as $100,000 per year.

How about geriatrics? I would think Medicare would have enough paperwork to drive anyone crazy (and/or out of business).

Members don't see this ad :)
Pediatricians also go through a lot of malpractice lawsuits, but not as many as OB/GYN's.

Seems to me that ER docs would have relatively little red tape. If a person comes into the ER sick, the ER doc needs to do whatever is needed to take care of the person. The only real red tape I've seen in ER is when the person is in an HMO that doesn't have a contract w/the hospital, and the patient needs to be admitted. Along this line, I think the more "elective" or "optional" type procedures and tests that come under a specialty, the more red tape the doc is going to have with regard to HMO auth and stuff like that.