SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Red Tape

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Premed315U, Nov 12, 2001.

1. Premed315U

Premed315U Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Which specialties involve the most red tape? I'm thinking ER type work, but I don't know much about this.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I am not sure what you mean by red tape. As far as malpractice insurance, obstetricians and surgeons tend to have the highest rates. I have seen people quote insurance costs as high as $100,000 per year.

4. SMW

SMW Grand Member 7+ Year Member

Jul 12, 2001
    anchorage, ak
    How about geriatrics? I would think Medicare would have enough paperwork to drive anyone crazy (and/or out of business).

5. PST

PST Junior Member 7+ Year Member

Nov 7, 2001
    Pediatricians also go through a lot of malpractice lawsuits, but not as many as OB/GYN's.

6. UCMonkey

UCMonkey Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Aug 26, 2001
    Cincinnati, OH
    Seems to me that ER docs would have relatively little red tape. If a person comes into the ER sick, the ER doc needs to do whatever is needed to take care of the person. The only real red tape I've seen in ER is when the person is in an HMO that doesn't have a contract w/the hospital, and the patient needs to be admitted. Along this line, I think the more "elective" or "optional" type procedures and tests that come under a specialty, the more red tape the doc is going to have with regard to HMO auth and stuff like that.