redox question about reduction potentials

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

morrisol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
im doing a practice question thats asking to figure out whether a rxn will be spon or not at non-standard concentrations. [Co2+]= 0.15, [fe2+]=0.68. in order to work through this question i have to use the Nernst equation and in the nernst equ we need to know the E^o (cell). so i went to the chart that gives reduction potentials and it says that for Co2+ its -0.28 and for fe2+ its -0.44.

What i dont get is why Co2+ is undergoing oxidation when its reduction potential is more positive than the that of Fe?

Members don't see this ad.

im doing a practice question thats asking to figure out whether a rxn will be spon or not at non-standard concentrations. [Co2+]= 0.15, [fe2+]=0.68. in order to work through this question i have to use the Nernst equation and in the nernst equ we need to know the E^o (cell). so i went to the chart that gives reduction potentials and it says that for Co2+ its -0.28 and for fe2+ its -0.44.

What i dont get is why Co2+ is undergoing oxidation when its reduction potential is more positive than the that of Fe?
Check the table to see if there are two Cobalt reactions, one for +2 to 0 and another for +3 to +2.
i did thats why im confused