redox question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

joonkimdds

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
C6H12O6 + 6O2 ==> 6CO2 + 6H2O
this is a cellular respiration.

when C6H12O6 becomes 6CO2 it is called oxidation.
Oxidation means it loses electron and become positive.
When I look at it, it lost H(proton,+) so doesn't this mean it became more negative thus it's reduction?

Another question is when NAD+ accepts H(proton,+) it becomes NADH(neutral)
if NAD was + from the beginning and accepted another +, shouldn't this be NAD+2 or NADH+ instead of becoming neutral?

Members don't see this ad.

Initially C6H12O6 had charges of C neutral, H +1, O -2. Leaves a total net charge of 0.
For 6CO2 in order to achieve a charge of 0, since O is still -2, C becomes +4. Therefore the C was oxidized.

C6H12O6-----> C=0 H=+1x12=12 O= -2x6=-12

CO2.------> C=-4 O=-2X2=-4

Members don't see this ad :)
(NAD+) + (H+) + (2e-) = NADH

take biochem before you take the DAT. it helps on the Bio section.

Initially C6H12O6 had charges of C neutral, H +1, O -2. Leaves a total net charge of 0.
For 6CO2 in order to achieve a charge of 0, since O is still -2, C becomes +4. Therefore the C was oxidized.

well...I learned this way from general chemistry and I understand it.
but bio class is telling me that whatever loses electron is becoming + and thus oxidized.
if C6H12O6 lost 12 H that means it lost 12+ and so i think it becomes - and reduced :?

It didn't JUST 'lose' 12 H, it 'gained' 6 O. Look at the formulas.

Since that sorta stuff is more chemistry related than bio related, your chem class will give you the correct way of doing it while your bio class will give you the short and intuitive way of looking at it.

Besides there are a series of steps inbetween C6H12O6 and CO2. A lot. If you study them in depth you will see why it's a huge oxidation chain (hence oxidative phosphorylation).

For inorganic chemistry, oxidation is the loss of electrons. When dealing with organic compounds oxidation means one of two things (or both): addition of more oxygen to a molecule or loss of hydrogen atoms with their electrons from a molecule.

Hey joon havent seen you writign for a while just wanted to see how your studying was moving along?

Hey joon havent seen you writign for a while just wanted to see how your studying was moving along?

oh hi, I was focusing on Cell bio and Organic chem class. They were very tough. Thus I couldn't study for DAT, like I did during the summer(10 hours per day, 3 months~)

Yeah, anyway my GPA from the last semester is terrible.
I got A+ and A from Geography and History but then
I got A- and B- from Cell bio and Organic Chem... errrrrr I hate my Orgo Professor!