Reduced Course Load as a Non-Trad | Will this doom me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sleepyDaisy

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Just a quick question about something I have been thinking about.

While planning out what courses I want to take when, I've come to the realization that I think I'm taking too light of a course load. I work full time, participate in my ECs, and take only 1-2 classes (5 to 12 credits) a quarter. My university is roughly an hour away, so when I can take classes is very limited due to my work schedule and commute times. Moving closer to my university is not an option at this moment in time.

I currently have a 3.95 cGPA at my university and intend on keeping it that way. I worry that when it comes time to apply for medical school, the admissions committee will have issues with the fact that I took a reduced course load for nearly all of my undergrad. I fear that they will think that I won't be able to handle the rigors of medical school. It sucks because even if I wanted to take more courses, I cannot due to when they're being offered.

In the event that medical schools have issues with my reduced course load, would a strong MCAT score help alleviate those concerns? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not totally sure you're worrying about nothing, but it's not worth worrying about it since it sounds like you can't change the situation.

A high MCAT won't make up for it. As you obviously already realize, medical school (especially the first two years/one and a half years depending) are several classes with a bunch of material all at once. At the beginning our Dean gave a welcome speech and mentioned that high school was like a trickle, undergrad was like a faucet, and med school is like a fire hydrant. That's a decent metaphor, at least in my experience.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. A solid MCAT paired with that GPA should be fine. Especially if in your application you can somehow let it be known that you worked full time throughout.

I think there were three or so semesters where I took 12 credits so I could only have Tue and Thur classes (best semesters ever). It never came up as an issue.

N=1, but I was in the same position as you for my post-bacc. I was also working full-time, managing ECs, and going to school. I maxed out at 7 credits/semester. All in all, I received several interviews and two acceptances. Because of the frustrating nature of this process, different schools are going to view it differently, but I'm willing to bet that it won't tank your app completely. I'm not sure if being a full-time college student for undergrad helped or not, though.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also was only able to take 1-2 classes at a time for my post-bacc and it did not seem to hinder me in any way, especially because I was working full time, volunteering, raising a family etc at the same time

Reactions: 1 user
I also only took 2 classes max while doing my post-bacc because of work and other responsibilities. I think that what is important is that you are doing something with the time.

Hi everyone. Just a quick question about something I have been thinking about.

While planning out what courses I want to take when, I've come to the realization that I think I'm taking too light of a course load. I work full time, participate in my ECs, and take only 1-2 classes (5 to 12 credits) a quarter. My university is roughly an hour away, so when I can take classes is very limited due to my work schedule and commute times. Moving closer to my university is not an option at this moment in time.

I currently have a 3.95 cGPA at my university and intend on keeping it that way. I worry that when it comes time to apply for medical school, the admissions committee will have issues with the fact that I took a reduced course load for nearly all of my undergrad. I fear that they will think that I won't be able to handle the rigors of medical school. It sucks because even if I wanted to take more courses, I cannot due to when they're being offered.

In the event that medical schools have issues with my reduced course load, would a strong MCAT score help alleviate those concerns? Or am I worrying over nothing?

Thanks
One class/semester will have me doubt that you can handle a med school course load. If this is only for a 1-2 semesters, then you should be OK. But you do need to bump it up. Perhaps work for a few years, save up the money, and then go to school full time?

One class/semester will have me doubt that you can handle a med school course load. If this is only for a 1-2 semesters, then you should be OK. But you do need to bump it up. Perhaps work for a few years, save up the money, and then go to school full time?
If it was bumped up to 2 classes a quarter, would that be more acceptable? Or would I still be viewed as 'incapable' by admissions?

There's a big difference between 5-12 credits a quarter, no? That would equate to 10-24 credits per semester, a large range. I was in similar situation as you (working, hour away, ECs, etc.) and I think I stayed around 12 credits +/- 2 each semester with no questions or comments about it. I think it's really case-by-case, i.e. 12 credits + busy life + all upper-level science courses + high GPA looks a lot different than 12 credits + videogames + intro to science for non-science majors + C average.