reduction of Ag vs Hg

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

inaccensa

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ag'+(aq) + 2e- -- Ag(s) 0.80V
Hg'+(aq) + 2e- -- Hg(l) 0.80V

since they both have the same reduction potential, if we have AgCl2 and HgCl2, which will be reduced. Also, we know that both don't dissolve very well in water, so does the solubility play a role?

Members don't see this ad.

EK has the same values for both. Anyways, if there were such a question on MCAT, I assume that no reaction takes place. Is this correct?

EK has the same values for both. Anyways, if there were such a question on MCAT, I assume that no reaction takes place. Is this correct?

Depends I think on whether or not the conditions are standard. Maybe they want you to use the Nernst equation, which would probably be hinted at in an accompanying passage.

Members don't see this ad :)

I just looked at the page in EK. It's an error. Change 0.80V to 0.85V and obviously, the answer is mercuric.

If the question were not an error, the answer would not be no reaction. Both metals would be reduced at a similar rate.

If the question were not an error, the answer would not be no reaction. Both metals would be reduced at a similar rate.
but wouldn't there need to be a driving force, or a source of electrons for one of the metals?

but wouldn't there need to be a driving force, or a source of electrons for one of the metals?

Oh yes absolutely. For some reason I assumed there was a power supply involved, and you were making an electrolytic cell.