Reduction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

orgoboy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Why Are Metals better reducing agents Then Non Metals?

For example: When comparing Li And F?

Members don't see this ad.

Why Are Metals better reducing agents Then Non Metals?

For example: When comparing Li And F?

Reducing agents= oxidation=loss of electrons, so metals can easily lose electrons because they are not very electronegative while nonmetals are good oxidizing agents and are very electronegative so will accept electrons readily.

therefore Li is an excellent reducing agent will F is an excellent oxidizing agent

Reducing agents= oxidation=loss of electrons, so metals can easily lose electrons because they are not very electronegative while nonmetals are good oxidizing agents and are very electronegative so will accept electrons readily.

therefore Li is an excellent reducing agent will F is an excellent oxidizing agent

Thats an interesting question... from Orgo I remember that LiAlH4 and NaBH4 each are excellent reducing agents and both are metals so that means Saber Tooth has a good point!

Thats an interesting question... from Orgo I remember that LiAlH4 and NaBH4 each are excellent reducing agents and both are metals so that means Saber Tooth has a good point!

also, it is useful to remember that NaBH4 reducing ONLY aldehydes and ketones !

Members don't see this ad :)
Good answer saber tooth! I was vaguely aware that this was the reason but you definitely put that into perspective!:)