Reference books you keep handy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheTruckGuy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Think of yourself as a 2nd year resident moon lighting in a free standing ER. You've got a lot of equipment handy, and you've got a decent sized hospital relatively close that you can ship things to or call for advice, but transport isn't always very easy to come by. I know everything is pretty much just a google away, but if you wanted some reference books to keep handy, what would they be?

And no, I'm not going to be moonlighting, but I am taking time off from residency to be a military GMO. It'll be clinic/primary care most of the time. I'm thinking a good procedure manual, specifically with ortho/splinting and a good derm atlas. Both of which would probably be useful to a future me as well, when I'm back in residency.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Think of yourself as a 2nd year resident moon lighting in a free standing ER. You've got a lot of equipment handy, and you've got a decent sized hospital relatively close that you can ship things to or call for advice, but transport isn't always very easy to come by. I know everything is pretty much just a google away, but if you wanted some reference books to keep handy, what would they be?

And no, I'm not going to be moonlighting, but I am taking time off from residency to be a military GMO. It'll be clinic/primary care most of the time. I'm thinking a good procedure manual, specifically with ortho/splinting and a good derm atlas. Both of which would probably be useful to a future me as well, when I'm back in residency.

Thanks

I recommend the following:

1. PEPID EM Suite.
2. PEPID EM Suite.
3. PEPID EM Suite.
4. EMRA abx guide.
5. Epocrates.

And 6. Google.

All set.

(There was a nice iPhone app for splinting, but it was never updated, and I can't find it any more.)

Reactions: 2 users
tarascon's pocket emergency medicine, emra abx guide, emra pressor dex

Members don't see this ad :)
I like the cook county procedure manual... A little less bulky than hedges

None. googlefoam.com, or emedicine. If you have it, uptodate is helpful. And if you feel like spending money, Pepid. Books are a decade behind at a minimum. Learn them for the tests, not to practice medicine.

UpToDate. I have never needed anything else ever and I learn tons on every search.

Also, if you have a subscription you get CMEs!

Reactions: 1 user
shopping

Wikem and UTD.

There's only like 6 rashes you need to know.

Reactions: 1 users
I use the Chief Complaint by Chris Feier. I think it's an overall great manual and the best manual to take care of sick patients in the ED.

WikEM is accessed roughly 30 times on every shift.

I use both PressorDex and EMRA Abx app both a few times on every shift

Also I don't know how the hell anybody can use UpToDate in the ED. I don't have time to read through an entire UpToDate article. UTD is great for when you are a med student or an IM resident, but it does not deliver information quickly and succinctly when I need it.

Reactions: 1 users
I keep seeing PEPID.

Is there something that I'm missing? It sucked when I was an intern in 2009... hard to navigate... data was easily available elsewhere for a lot less money...

I'm happy to be wrong. Is PEPID different now?

I keep seeing PEPID.

Is there something that I'm missing? It sucked when I was an intern in 2009... hard to navigate... data was easily available elsewhere for a lot less money...

I think lots of people like it because it tracks cme hours super easy. I dunno, utdol is my go to followed by wikiem.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I keep seeing PEPID.

Wouldn't know, I've never used it, even to trial. I don't use apps generally. I'm always at a computer.

He may not have access to the internet as a GMO.

I keep seeing PEPID.

Don’t know what it was like in 2009. But since 2012 it’s been awesome. I give it my highest possible recommendation.

since I have online access to tintinalli via access medicine, I also have been using that a lot, as it's a lot easier to flip through online for relevant information.

I love pepid, have had it since I was doing auditions in 2015 and i use it several times a shift.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is so dependent on wikem